Washi Tape Fretwork Mirror for $5!

$6

You know those full-length, back-of-the-door mirrors everyone seems to have owned during the College years? Well, those $2 mirrors can be completely transformed into a much more sophisticated look with a little washi tape! This fretwork mirror will give that inexpensive mirror a complete makeover!
Step 1: Tape off the mirror inside the frame using painter's tape.
Step 2: Paint the wooden frame of the mirror gold and let dry.

You may need a few coats. I wanted mine to look a little more "antiqued" so I roughed it up and let some of the white show through.

Step 3: Once the frame is dry, carefully peel off the painter's tape.
Step 4: Using a ruler, measure 1" in from the frame. Use a light colored crayon and draw a straight line from the top of the mirror to the bottom.
Step 5: Measure 1" up from the bottom of the frame and use your crayon again to draw a line across the bottom.Step 6: Continue this drawing your crayon lines in the pattern of the fretwork design.
Step 6: Continue this drawing your crayon lines in the pattern of the fretwork design.
My lines were always 1" inward or upward and my squares were 10" from one another.
This is the fretwork design I used for my mirror. If following the same pattern, you can use this as a guide to help you draw your lines.
Step 7: Apply your washi tape over the crayon lines.

Cut each piece straight, so that they line up with the edge as perfectly as possible.
Continue applying pieces of washi tape, overlapping each piece as you go along.
Step 8: Hang your awesome new mirror in the place of your choice!
I gave mine a more antiqued look by roughing up the edges with sandpaper and letting some of the white show throw.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Washi Tape  (Michaels)
  • Mirror  (Walmart)
  • Crayon  (On-Hand)

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Perfectly Round Tables
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space

• Jewellmartin

How many rolls of washi tape did you use on the long mirror? I have that $2 special hanging on my wall and it came in gold. I may use some wood stain in a few places on the frame. But the washi tape fretting would be perfect. I have to clean the grandchild stickers and fingerprints off first! Best wishes 😇
  • Bar26296937

Hi! Great idea. I`ve got an old cottage here in England so it wouldn`t be suitable but I`m sure my daughter would accommodate it!! One question, does anyone know if they sell Washi tape over here?
  • Rit28735138

What is washi tape

• Rita

I have a shell shaped mirror any suggestion for that it hangs in my bathroom
    • Mel28834726

Were you ever able to find something to do with your bathroom mirror?

Melissa77373@yahoo.com

• Kay

Can you just use Washi tape to frame mirror. We have one of those large mirrors over bathroom sink and is not framed. Tried to frame it and it did not come out well. Thanks. Kay