Washi Tape Fretwork Mirror for $5!

6 materials
$6
You know those full-length, back-of-the-door mirrors everyone seems to have owned during the College years? Well, those $2 mirrors can be completely transformed into a much more sophisticated look with a little washi tape! This fretwork mirror will give that inexpensive mirror a complete makeover!
Step 1: Tape off the mirror inside the frame using painter's tape.
Step 2: Paint the wooden frame of the mirror gold and let dry.

You may need a few coats. I wanted mine to look a little more "antiqued" so I roughed it up and let some of the white show through.

Step 3: Once the frame is dry, carefully peel off the painter's tape.
Step 4: Using a ruler, measure 1" in from the frame. Use a light colored crayon and draw a straight line from the top of the mirror to the bottom.
Step 5: Measure 1" up from the bottom of the frame and use your crayon again to draw a line across the bottom.Step 6: Continue this drawing your crayon lines in the pattern of the fretwork design.
Step 6: Continue this drawing your crayon lines in the pattern of the fretwork design.
My lines were always 1" inward or upward and my squares were 10" from one another.
This is the fretwork design I used for my mirror. If following the same pattern, you can use this as a guide to help you draw your lines.
Step 7: Apply your washi tape over the crayon lines.

Cut each piece straight, so that they line up with the edge as perfectly as possible.
Continue applying pieces of washi tape, overlapping each piece as you go along.
Step 8: Hang your awesome new mirror in the place of your choice!
I gave mine a more antiqued look by roughing up the edges with sandpaper and letting some of the white show throw.

• Washi Tape   (Michaels)
  • Mirror   (Walmart)
  • Crayon   (On-Hand)

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions

Comments

3 of 24 comments
Next