Katelyn Fagan
Katelyn Fagan
  • San Marcos, TX

How to Clean Copper Bottomed Pots

My mother used these copper-bottomed pots for year and years and gave me some when I left for college. They are pretty great pans and I love using them, but over time the bottom gets tarnished and dirty looking. Thankfully, my mother also taught me how to get them clean and bright looking again! I've since learned of two more ways to get them clean too. We'll start with my mother's method first.
how to clean copper bottomed pots
Here are the pots I have. I have three of them, and yes. The bottoms are not so pretty here! Let's fix that....
how to clean copper bottomed pots
First, pour regular table salt onto it!
how to clean copper bottomed pots
Next, pour some regular white vinegar onto the salt.
how to clean copper bottomed pots
Grab a scour pad and scrub in the vinegar into the salt and clean the pan! Be sure to get the sides too! Pour more vinegar and salt onto it as needed until it's all clean.
how to clean copper bottomed pots
And here's how it compares to the two other dirty ones!! Amazing difference right?!
how to clean copper bottomed pots
Another way to clean them is using Bar Keepers Friend! This time, wet the bottom of the pan with water, sprinkle the Bar Keepers Friend onto the pan, let sit for a minute, then scrub with a paper towel or scour pad, and viola! A clean-bottomed copper pan!
how to clean copper bottomed pots
The last way to clean a copper bottom pot, in case you're really desperate for some reason, is to use KETCHUP!
how to clean copper bottomed pots
Be sure to head to my blog to watch the videos for the vinegar and ketchup tutorials in action!

If you love these type of practical cleaning tips for everyday things, be sure to check out Speed Clean the Deep Clean: A Collection of Time-Saving Cleaning Tutorials and Tips for Busy Moms! It has 50+ cleaning tutorials and tips to help you get every area of your home looking great, including all of these ways of cleaning copper pots!

• Copper Bottom Pot
  • Salt
  • Vinegar
Katelyn Fagan

3 questions on this project
  • Dar27905338
    Jan 11, 2018

Is this mainly for copper bottomed pots?

• Barbara
    Aug 07, 2017

How do you polish brass?

• Jer24088705
      Jan 21, 2018

I clean lots of brass things I brought home from India in the 60's with salt and rub with !/2 lemon. (I have a lemon tree !) I imagine it would work for copper, too. lemon juice and vinegar are both acidic.

• Ellen King
    May 03, 2017

I have the same pans and if you put them in the dishwasher it will eventually take off the copper. I used mine for many, many years and then this happens in the dishwasher. Umm, makes me wonder if the finish is just a thin layer of spray on copper. What do you think? Has anyone else had this problem also?

Jan 21, 2018

I wouldn't put Revere Ware, or any pots with non-metal handles, in the dishwasher. The handles will get dull and over time, break. Grab the dish soap and sponge add hot water and look out the window as you wash your pots. I always wash my dishes by hand, it's nice, and the kids stay away because they think you will try and get them to help, so this is some great quiet time. Stretch it out!!! :)

• Regina Allen
    Aug 08, 2018

Ketchup will clean copper too. Just cover the bottom of your copper pan, wait a few minutes and scrub off.

• Car28238570
    Aug 08, 2018

When I asked how to clean the copper bottom pots - I was mainly interested in how to remove the black crust that not only formed on the bottom of the pots, but also on the outside of them. In other words, the pots are black and crusted on the outside and bottom, but they are perfectly shiny on the inside and great to cook in.