Scottie Vosburgh
Scottie Vosburgh
  • Lovettsville, VA

Refresh an Armoire With Overlays

$120

I used Overlay decorative panels to revive a forgotten and water-logged armoire, turning it into a farmhouse treasure.
refresh an armoire with overlays
I had this armoire in my stash so when I was asked to be a host for the the April Fab Furniture Flippin Contest using Overlay panels, I jumped at the chance.
refresh an armoire with overlays
I had to fix the bottom first though, it was warped and beyond repair.
refresh an armoire with overlays
I pulled some flooring underlayment out of my stash and cut a new one making sure to line up the holes for the legs just right.
refresh an armoire with overlays
One of the doors had a gap so I fit it back in place, glued it, and clamped it overnight to dry.
refresh an armoire with overlays
I was totally impressed with the Overlay packaging for shipping. They took great care making sure they wouldn't bend in transit.
refresh an armoire with overlays
I laid out the pieces and cut them to fit with a new utility blade. it was easy to line up the pieces I needed to fit the leftover gaps too.
refresh an armoire with overlays
Here is one of the doors when I was done.
refresh an armoire with overlays
I started with two panels and have all this leftover! I am so excited to find something else I can use this on!
refresh an armoire with overlays
Now the piece is so much more attractive and will make a great wardrobe for someone to hang things up in their farmhouse!

If you want to see more details including the awesome little gadgets I found to easily sand all those crevices, check out my blog post.

• Flooring underlayent  (on hand ($13 a sheet @ Home Depot))
  • Shabby Paints  (on hand ($29.99 a quart- I used under 8oz))
  • Overlays panes  (http://www.myoverlays.com/ (sent to me by Overlays to use for my project, I'm sorry I'm not sure of the price))

Scottie Vosburgh

• Ruheena

Beautiful! Where can we buy the over lay?
  • Tracey Tranmer Smith

How did you apply the over lay? Is it glued into place? I have a similar armoir with glass panels - how would you recommend I attach an over lay such as this to the glass?
    • Scottie Vosburgh

I was thinking about it this morning and you could even use permanent "glue dots" if you were applying to the glass fronts. They would not be permanent on the glass, but would hold a bit stronger than the removable ones and come in fairly small sizes.
  • Lynn W

Can you use armorie made from press board??
    • Scottie Vosburgh

I'm no thanks sure I completely understand your question. Are you asking if the overlays can be used on a pressboard armoire? Sure. You can paint/decorate pressboard pretty much the same way you would a piece made of wood. You just want to determine if it's worth the time, effort, and money to do it. Pressboard doesn't typically last very long so some people may not choose to "update" those types of pieces. However, it is technically possible to do.

I hope that helps. Good luck!