DIY Master Bedroom Closet Makeover on a Budget

$500
2 Months

We’ve been working on it slowly for a couple of months around other projects and, well, life. It’s been 8 long years living with these pieced together racks so it’s time to get organized. I can’t say that I’m not embarrassed to be showing you this but here’s what needed to happen:
diy master bedroom closet makeover on a budget
I started by measuring out how many inches of clothes we each have (tops and bottoms) and then added a few inches to be on the safe side. For example, I needed about 60″ of hanging space for my shirts. Then I made a plan on paper.
We built  each section in a cubby or “box” and then attach them all together. We used birch plywood for the boxes, MDF for part of the base and pine for the rest of the trim. 
Then he added a 1.5 inch pine trim to the front and crown molding to the top. Let’s just say I spent A LOT of time spackling all those nail holes and caulking the edges.
We bought a long metal bar and then cut it to the size we needed for each hanging section and then I spray painted the pieces to match the cubbies. They were installed with little metal cups.
We needed space for linens and laundry so we created this unit from an old armoire and a base we built.
For more details on how we put it all together for under $500, stop over to my blog or visit me on facebook for more great DIY projects and decorating ideas!
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Peggy davis

What are the dimensions of your closet?

• Pamela Ball

How would you do a small closet yours is amazing 71/2” tall by 42” wife by 251/2 deep

• Sharon Huneycutt Harris

Beautiful job on your closet! I wonder if you have any problem with hampers in the closet? I had a hamper in mine but started having some mildew show up on the walls. I removed the hamper, cleaned the mildew with bleach (it wasn't bad, just tiny spots but you don't want to let that go). Then we added a hanging Damp Rid bag. I have to change it about every 3 weeks! We cannot figure out where it's getting the moisture from. I have added small fans too and I keep an eye out every day for any return of the mildew spots. About twice a year, I still have to dab with bleach to kill new little spots as they come up. We've had a new heat/ac system put in with all new ductwork and had our heat/ac consultant and they can't figure it out either. Under the house is dry as a bone and we added new plastic in the crawlspace when they redid the heat/ac system. Also, my closet, all 4 walls are interior walls. I.e. I don't have a closet wall where the other side of it is an outside wall. We've checked the attic and see no problems over the closet or with the vented bathroom next door. The vent fan is vented correctly through the roof. So it may not have started with the hamper in the closet or it may have. But I won't put a hamper in a closet again.

• Ladee

Do you get mildew in the closet without using the dirty clothes bin? Are you placing damp items in the dirty clothes bin?

• Vickie Davis

Super job. I hate Boob Lights!

• Paula Curran

You did a beautiful job with this. My own closet project is still waiting and i think some of your ideas will help get it moving. Thanks for posting this information.