Calling All Knitters and Crocheters - Easy Peasy Yarn Keepers!

+3
Choose a jar that will hold a skein of yarn. I have used the jars from mixed nuts, the tall skinny jars from snack mixes bought at big box stores, and various other jars. Start by cleaning the jar and lid thoroughly. So many things come in plastic jars these days, and most of those jars end up in recycle bins and landfills. I took the plastic lid, turned it upside down and drilled a hole in the center, then used a lit candle to heat and smooth the edges of the hole, both top and bottom. Pull the yarn end from the center of your skein, drop the skein into the jar, then push the loose end through the lid from the bottom, screw on the lid and voila, you have a way to keep your yarn clean and out of the fingers of little people and away from pets.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Apr 16, 2017
    BRILLIANT!!! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to share this with a bunch of my knitting friends (I'm a crocheter myself)
    • See 1 previous
    • Linda Linda on Apr 18, 2017
      Check out your local library, and your local churches.....we have craft/knit/crochet groups for both. If you are looking for a good place to benefit from your efforts, try a charity online called "Sew on Fire" or make things for Operation Christmas Child.....both ways you can benefit someone in need in places you will likely never go.....They are my favourite charities, and if you look them up, you will see why!

Hope this helps! Have a great day!
  • Shirley Heikkinen Shirley Heikkinen on Apr 16, 2017
    When I was able to knit I belonged to Ravelry. There are individual groups within the site, free patterns, patterns for sale, and much more!
  • Linda Linda on Apr 18, 2017
    I use an empty Kleenex box....the plastic on the top of the box keeps the yarn dust free and I am able to pull the yarn easily through the opening at the top of the box. A lot cheaper than a yarn bowl, although I may make one yet!

• Thelma Thelma on Apr 19, 2017
    I have done this for years with the empty, clean, large {1/2 gal. size} oatmeal containers. I write the color and color number on the top of the plastic lid after I have punched a hole in it so I can always match the color exactly {as long as the company doesn't discontinue it}. I cover the outside of the container with contact paper, or whatever suits my fancy, so they are pretty to look at. They're tall enough to hold a tall skein of yarn but also work perfectly for short skeins.