Antique World Map Decoupaged Candles {With Free Printable}

$10

Three years ago when I started crafting, I chose a decoupage project as my first project. What a mistake! Every time I tried to get rid of the air bubbles, I ended up tearing the dang paper! After four or five tries, I was so annoyed that I swore I would never try my hand at decoupage again. Hahahaha, I know…what a sore loser, right? But just like anything else in life, the more you practice, the better you become at it…or should I say, the more you practice, the better you handle the defeat! LOL.

A couple months and many defeats later, I must have trained my nerves much better, as I again dared to pick up Mod Podge. This time, surprisingly, everything went excellent, and I managed to make some beautiful antique world map decoupaged candles for Greg’s Mom as a Mother’s Day gift. Since Mother’s Day is approaching, I wanted to share a mother-loved-and-approved project with you, and this makes the cut, as Mom still loves the ones I gave her three years ago.

Have you had enough of my yapping? Then let’s get on with the tutorial, shall we?

First I took a bunch of measurements to find out the size of my LED candles. Once I knew the candle size, I started preparing my antique world maps according to size.
I made several decoupage designs for both 5 inch and 6 inch tall LED candles…and yes, as usual I am sharing all of them with you on our blog post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once I was finished with the designs, I printed them on copy paper and let the ink dry for a couple of hours.

Now here is a little hint for you: I normally use two different methods when decoupaging-
  1. Spreading the glue on the surface.
  2. Spreading the glue on the paper.
When working on this project, I first started with Method No.1, which I usually have great success with on big flat surfaces, as it helps eliminating bubbles. But since the decoupage surface on these candles was small and not flat, I also gave Method No.2 a try, and I have to say that was much easier and faster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you visit us to see our quick video tutorial!
If you are interested in similar crafts & DIY projects, visit thenavagepatch.com to see more from The Navage Patch.

Thanks for reading and happy crafting!

Handan, xo

• 5 - 6 inch led candles
  • Decoupage design  (You can find the antique maps on our blog post.)
  • Decoupage glue

18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• She8921017

where can i find the printable maps> thanks i love this idea
  • Kim

Can I use actual maps, such as road maps? Or do they have to be printed on special paper?

• S

whatever is printed on the back side will show through as well. If you can find maps with nothing on the back, they would work.

• Wynne Wigderson

I must be doing something wrong.. went to page, found a map; all of a sudden a map appears with a price ! What happened to free?

• Bek

I love this! Just downloaded my maps. My elder son JUST redid his formerly ultra-modern study in Old Worlde, so guess what he's getting for Christmas this year?

• Carol Jollymore

Good to know thank you.