Jennifer Decorates
Jennifer Decorates
  • Murfreesboro, TN

Create Faux Brick Wall Using Inexpensive Paneling

$225

We created a really fabulous aged brick wall for our home decor store using paneling from the home improvement store! This project was inexpensive, and was relatively easy to do! When people see this wall, they cannot believe it is paneling! I keep a scrap piece of paneling just to show them!

create faux brick wall using inexpensive paneling
This first thing we did was nail up our paneling. Next, I began applying Roll On Texture. Once that was dry, I rolled on watered down paint to create a "whitewash" look. The third step was applying Venetian Plaster to create depth and texture. The final step was applying Polycyrlic to seal the brick.

My video will take you through step-by-step. You can do it!
Here is a close up photo of the brick paneling.
The first step was to apply the Roll On Texture. Roll it on a small section at a time. Then you take a putty knife and go up and down over the texture. This immediately creates an aged look on the wall!

If you don't want any red of the brick to show through, then you want to "white wash" the brick. This is applying watered down paint with a roller. If you want some of the red brick to show through then skip this step.
After the Roll On Texture is dry you are ready to apply the Venetian Plaster. Again, use the putty knife to apply onto the brick. The key here is to only apply on a few bricks and apply sparingly. You are only wanting to highlight and add depth to the wall.

Your last step, once the Venetian plaster is dry is to apply Polycrylic . Do not use Polyurethane! It will yellow the wall!
What an outstanding backdrop!
I just love how this project turned out!
Here is my video with the step-by-step process to creating a gorgeous faux brick wall! Enjoy! :)
Jennifer Decorates

• Felicia Aumiller

What is so faux about that brick wall ??? It's already a brick wall..

• Lana Hassell

Felicia, I think that it is possible that CJ and Jennifer both may have misunderstood your question. It is also possible that I have. I think that you think that some or all of that wall was a red brick wall, right?, and that Jennifer was going to make it a faux brick wall with white stuff. Nope. There was no brick wall there originally. That whole wall is a fake red brick paneling that she had partially done so she could show us how it looked before and after. Good job, huh?

• Cherie

My only question is: how did you cover the seams in the paneling? Well, I actually have another question: since this comes in grey, why did you use red brick? (I know it comes in grey as we used it in our rooms!) Your project turned out great!

• Jennifer Decorates

Hello! I added extra Venetian plaster in the seams. I chose red because we used this in our store, and I really wanted an Old World look. Thank you so much!

• Sally Cowan

I would love to try this! But I would like it to be a more ivory darker color result. Not so white.....If I put on the last step, the venetian plaster, won't this be too white? Can you add color to it?

• Jennifer Decorates

Hello, yes it might be too white. But, no worries you absolutely can add color to the Venetian Plaster! Good luck.