Recycle A Brick Into Something Useful

I found an old brick at our rental house the other day when we were doing yard work. It looks like any old building brick but when I saw the holes, it reminded me of a project I saw where someone had recycled an air brick into a pencil holder. I have a gazillion markers, calligraphy pens, pencils and small paintbrushes and am always looking for unique ways to display them on my desk so that I have easy access to them. I'll show you how I turned this ordinary brick into a useful pen holder for my desk.
recycle a brick into something useful
STEP 1:   Wipe your brick down with a dry cloth if there is just a little dirt on it or if it is in pretty rough shape hose it down or give it a good scrub to remove any embedded dirt in the holes
recycle a brick into something useful
STEP 2:  Paint your brick.  I had some Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Pure White.  I used a paintbrush to give it a couple coats of paint.  I did not paint down inside the holes nor did I cover every part of the terracotta brick.  I wanted some of the natural brick to show through.
recycle a brick into something useful
STEP 3:  Separate your 2 or 3 ply decorative napkin so that the decorative side is the only ply you have left.  This can be a little tedious.  Don’t worry if your napkin tears a little.  When you mod podge over it, it won’t be noticeable
recycle a brick into something useful
STEP 4:   With the Sponge foam brush, apply a coat of mod podge  on one of the larger sides of the brick.  Immediately apply the single ply decorative napkin to the brick.
recycle a brick into something useful
STEP 5:  Repeat STEP 4 until all the sides of the brick are covered.  Let dry for about an hour
STEP 6:  With stencils or your own hand writing, you can write or paint anything on your new pen holder for your desk.

I use my new pen holder for my desk as an actual art supply holder for my favorite hand lettering tools.

Other ideas: If you don’t want to mod podge a decorative napkin, you can use black and white newspaper or pages from an old book.  The brick looks great with just paint and stenciled letters too.

Have fun with this fun and super easy craft. It's also very affordable. I spent leads than $5 for the decorative napkins. Everything else I already had in my craft supplies. If you are starting out without any supplies, it shouldn't cost you more than $10, especially if you go to the dollar store or use your coupons from Michaels or JOANN Fabrics craft Supply.
recycle a brick into something useful

Diane and Dean DIY

• Gina Berdecia Spencer

What is the reason to use chalk paint?
    • Colimbia1

I think it was what she had on hand. No reason you couldn't use another kind or color of paint. Also coulld use fabric instead of napkin. If I make one I would probably use a road map or page from an atlas, just because my home office has a map theme. You could also use this idea to make a door stop.
  • John

Have you tried marbleing ?
  • Nancy

What do you put under it to keep from marking up the desk?

• Teresa hill

I have a few of those bricks. This is a awesome ideal. Thank you for sharing. Have a blessed day.

• Harriette

So pretty. Just might try this.