Farmhouse Style Kitchen Makeover

Our kitchen was completely remodeled right before we moved into our home, but it wasn't quite our style. We lived with it for a few years, and then decided to make a few simple updates that made a huge impact! It's like a whole new space! It's amazing what a little paint and some simple materials can do!
Our kitchen "before" shot. It had newer cabinets in a cherry wood finish. They were beautiful, but just not our taste.

The backsplash was a beige square tile.
Another before shot. When we moved in, the walls were a mustard yellow. We painted them an aqua color which turned out to be much brighter than what we were going for, but we left it for a while.
This wall of the kitchen has gone through a few makeover phases. In phase one, pictured here, we painted the mustard walls that aqua blue color. Those bifold doors hid our laundry area.
In phase two, we removed the bifold doors altogether, closed in part of the wall, and installed a pocket door. We expanded the small laundry area into the garage to make a bigger walk-in laundry room and a separate pantry.
You can see the new pantry here and can find links to the laundry room there as well.

Next, in phase three, during our most recent kitchen makeover, we added a skinnylap feature wall. We created a skinny shiplap style look using thin pieces of wood.
Our next update to the kitchen was changing the cabinet color. We chose Sherwin Williams "Agreeable Gray" which is a light, barely there, almost white, greige color. It really brightened up the whole space! We also changed the hardware to some matte black cup pulls and knobs.
Our last easy update to the kitchen was the backsplash. We didn't want all of the hard work or expense of installing a tile backsplash, so we used faux brick panels installed right on top of the tile. We painted the panels with Sherwin Williams "Alabaster," a nice neutral white paint.

After that, all that was left was a bit of accessorizing to bring the whole space together. You can find a complete list of where I bought all of my decor in my blog post as well as more photos of the completed kitchen.

Nicole @ The Inspired Hive

• Judy

Do you have to paint the inside of the cupboard doors?

• Tara Roseberry

I personally think it's up to you. HOWEVER if you paint the inside cover the bottoms where you're dishes sit in some form of contact paper.

I'm doing my cabinets this spring and I'm doing the inside as well. I'm taking cotton material and placing it on the bottom of each cabinet (it's another form of contact paper).

• DARIA

So can I paint over tile backsplash an counter tops?

• Misty

what steps did you take to paint your cabinets?

• DARIA

Thank you I went to the link, that would be great, but the counters are the old 60"s gold tile too. Wonder if I can paint them to, would love to paint backsplash an counters white.

• Lisa West

I love the shiplap wall. It almost make the door disappear. I dont know if that was your goal, how ever it looks wonderful. The whole space looks great. Show room great. Just wonderful bright and happy. Kitchens and dining rooms should awlway be a happy space and place. You know that's where most interactions happen with friends and family.