Farmhouse Style Kitchen Makeover

Our kitchen was completely remodeled right before we moved into our home, but it wasn't quite our style. We lived with it for a few years, and then decided to make a few simple updates that made a huge impact! It's like a whole new space! It's amazing what a little paint and some simple materials can do!
Our kitchen "before" shot. It had newer cabinets in a cherry wood finish. They were beautiful, but just not our taste.

The backsplash was a beige square tile.
Another before shot. When we moved in, the walls were a mustard yellow. We painted them an aqua color which turned out to be much brighter than what we were going for, but we left it for a while.
This wall of the kitchen has gone through a few makeover phases. In phase one, pictured here, we painted the mustard walls that aqua blue color. Those bifold doors hid our laundry area.
In phase two, we removed the bifold doors altogether, closed in part of the wall, and installed a pocket door. We expanded the small laundry area into the garage to make a bigger walk-in laundry room and a separate pantry.
You can see the new pantry here and can find links to the laundry room there as well.

Next, in phase three, during our most recent kitchen makeover, we added a skinnylap feature wall. We created a skinny shiplap style look using thin pieces of wood.
Our next update to the kitchen was changing the cabinet color. We chose Sherwin Williams "Agreeable Gray" which is a light, barely there, almost white, greige color. It really brightened up the whole space! We also changed the hardware to some matte black cup pulls and knobs.
Our last easy update to the kitchen was the backsplash. We didn't want all of the hard work or expense of installing a tile backsplash, so we used faux brick panels installed right on top of the tile. We painted the panels with Sherwin Williams "Alabaster," a nice neutral white paint.

After that, all that was left was a bit of accessorizing to bring the whole space together. You can find a complete list of where I bought all of my decor in my blog post as well as more photos of the completed kitchen.

Nicole @ The Inspired Hive

• Lyn16531000

what were the brick panels you used for the back splash and how did you apply them over the existing tile?
  • R lybolt

Can the wood strips be used in a bathroom near the shower wall not in the shower and what kind of sealer after it is installed?
    • Nicole @ The Inspired Hive

I have not attempted to install this type of wood in a bathroom, but I have installed plywood faux shiplap in a bathroom and it has held up fine with primer and paint. You could also seal with Waterlox to be safe.
    • Kcama

If you want a natural wood look, use marine varnish.
    • R lybolt

Just a thank you
  • Patricia nelson

How did you prepare your cabinets to be painted.
  • Tammy Carnes

I can't afford to get new cabinets at this time & my cabinets are formica. What can I use on them?

• Tina brennan

there are all sorts of products that paint formica. I have used the rustoleum product on formica cabinets and they look like painted wood when finished. The main thing is to sand well and prime before applying any type of paint product. You could also paint them with chalkboard paints.

• Melinda Lord

Zinsser BIN paint sticks to glass and formica. Be sure your room is well ventilated. You can top it with latex paint.
    • Nicole @ The Inspired Hive

I have not attempted painting Formica cabinets myself but have heard many have success using Chalk Paint.
    • Orphanannie60

Hi, I and my sister just repainted Formica old 70 cabinets with Home Depot All In One paint. Only get it on line. Absolutely fantastic. Several people in our condo building are doing this because they truly look like new. Easy prep.

• Pamela Browning

Wash cabinets with hot water and KrudKutter. Rinse well and allow to dry. Wipe with TSP. Apply Zinser 123 and allow to dry. Apply good quality paint (I love all things BEHR!)

• Annee

Sherwin Williams Proclassic enamel in a satin finish covers Formica or wood finishes without sanding or priming. I have used it on kitchen cabinets and various furniture pieces.

• Darlene Chinchar

Love the Aqua Blue, what brand is it?
  • Sandy Slade

Hi , Looks lovely .Where did you get the fake panels you put over your tiles ,how hardy and are they cleanable . Thank you.

• Annette

You can find lots of options on Amazon. Type in Faux Brick Panels. I think it being washable would depend on either the paint you use, or not painting it at all. Hope this helps.

• Kim Paulin Lauterbach

Can you please tell me more about how you updated the backsplash over the existing tile?

• Mainiebets

Kim I browsed theough the blog links and it looks like the old tile and grout was painted white.

• Margaret Haro-Avalos

what kind of paint did you use for cabinets I see color and brand what type really like and also faux brick sheets for shopping info really like look

• Judy

Do you have to paint the inside of the cupboard doors?

• Beth Gold Roccia

We painted our cabinets..didn't do the inside except for the cross looking wood ..also painted the 9 glasses of the many cabinets and stenciled them.

Coated with a clear craft sealant which seems so much better than the stuff at Home depot or lowes. Need lots of spray cans. So far so good.

If after some time, it gives us trouble, we can knock out the glass and maybe use beadboard. (We did the countertops too)

Its a beach home and needed lots of updating. Everything is gold, from ceiling fans and door knobs and towel rings and ugh it goes on forever..

Looking better and better each time we do a room..

• Beth

Judy, when I had my decorating business, during the downturn in the economy around 2006-2008 -ish, when people had less money in general, I was doing a lot of remodeling as opposed to ripping out kitchens and installing new. Therefore, my crews repainted lots of kitchen cabinets. we ALWAYS painted the inside of the cabinet doors. We did not paint the inside of the cabinets, however. That's kind of the standard rule, if you were wondering. Hope that helps.

• Tara Roseberry

I personally think it's up to you. HOWEVER if you paint the inside cover the bottoms where you're dishes sit in some form of contact paper.

I'm doing my cabinets this spring and I'm doing the inside as well. I'm taking cotton material and placing it on the bottom of each cabinet (it's another form of contact paper).

• DARIA

So can I paint over tile backsplash an counter tops?

• Misty

what steps did you take to paint your cabinets?

• DARIA

Thank you I went to the link, that would be great, but the counters are the old 60"s gold tile too. Wonder if I can paint them to, would love to paint backsplash an counters white.

• Lisa West

I love the shiplap wall. It almost make the door disappear. I dont know if that was your goal, how ever it looks wonderful. The whole space looks great. Show room great. Just wonderful bright and happy. Kitchens and dining rooms should awlway be a happy space and place. You know that's where most interactions happen with friends and family.