How to Make a 5 Minute Patio Table

$25

Spring is finally upon us! Hallelujah!!! I've been waiting for this nice weather since last summer ended and now the time has come to start sprucing up our yard again. Because of the layout of our yard, we don't have a great space for patio furniture so when we have guests over, we sit family-style on a big picnic table Rob made a few years ago and once the stars come out, we usually gather around our little campfire in beach chairs and on 2 makeshift benches Rob made out of driftwood we picked up at Montauk Point. However, our guests usually sit their drinks on the ground so this project is the perfect solution to that small issue.
planter patio table
SUPPLIES:
-20" resin whiskey barrel planter
-lots of wine corks (I had about 2 grocery bags full that I've collected over the years.)
-17-3/4" pine round
-round piece of glass (I found an end table at a local thrift store with a removable glass top that I scored for $10!)
-Everbilt Assorted Self-Adhesive Round Vinyl Surface Bumpers (You'll definitely want these if you're using a ceramic planter so as not to scratch your glass top!)

Optional:
-bricks/big rocks/bag of sand for weight if using a resin planter
planter patio table
STEP 1: Place pine round
First, I placed my pine round in my whiskey barrel planter. You can use anything round to replace the pine round such as a pizza pan. Depending on what you're going to fill the top of your planter with, you'll want to have space between the pine round (or pizza pan) and the top edge of your planter. I needed quite a bit of space because of how bulky my wine corks were so the 17-3/4" pine round gave the perfect amount of space from the top edge of the planter.
planter patio table
STEP 2: Fill top of planter and spread out/arrange
Next, I poured all of my wine corks in my planter. The ideas are endless as to what you can display in your planter: sand and shells, sea glass, painted pinecones, etc.
planter patio table
Once my wine corks were poured in, I spread them out evenly over the pine round.
planter patio table
STEP 3: Add vinyl bumpers
After my wine corks were arranged, I stuck vinyl bumpers to the edge of my planter so that my glass top had a little cushion to sit on.
planter patio table
STEP 4: Place glass
Finally, I placed my round piece of glass on top of my planter, ensuring that it was centered.
planter patio table
It was amazing how quick and easy this project was but even more than that, it's totally functional! We love having friends over in the summertime around our little campfire, and instead of everyone placing their drinks on the ground, we now have this cute little table that really makes a statement.

lot 10 Wine Corks Bottle Bung Stopper Preservation DIY Cork Board 19mmx...

• Tiffany Loots

lovely idea, but wouldnt the sun be like a magnifying glass through the glass and set fire to the corks? or am i just over protective again haha

• Gabrielle Falk

I have done something similar with some beautifully decorated chinese pots. I initially put hardy plants inside,pt the pots out of the direct sun, otherwise the plants would have been totally burnt in the hot Sydney summer. And then put glass on top. However the plants grew very quickly - it was just like a little hot house. So I removed the glass, and now the plants just look beautiful spilling out over the top. You could always put imitation plants inside - just to give a bit of a 'green' colour.

• Faye

How do you want remove ceramic tiles from hall to put in hardwood ?

• Jme28724287

Get a long handled scraper from Lowe’s and chip it away! Wear safety glasses.

• Secenia

What is an alternative for wine corks?

• Tracy Gappen Riggs

Maybe a Fairy Garden? Instead of dirt, I think a colored sand would look pretty. Or even different colors of sand, under the fairy garden.

• Irene Gronewald

but will look and measure ,planters , round wood cutting board , clear plastic trays at dollar tree to make cheaper version, plus some sisal rope around planter ,would jazz it up,they have wood pieces from trees in bags there , a good substitute for corks, I will have fun,maybe make one for daughter, have round glass here already,I am excited,can you tell?...lol

• Steph knepper
    2 minutes ago

This is sooo wonderful! Over the top creative and easy. Thanks for the great idea!