How to Make a 5 Minute Patio Table

$25

Spring is finally upon us! Hallelujah!!! I've been waiting for this nice weather since last summer ended and now the time has come to start sprucing up our yard again. Because of the layout of our yard, we don't have a great space for patio furniture so when we have guests over, we sit family-style on a big picnic table Rob made a few years ago and once the stars come out, we usually gather around our little campfire in beach chairs and on 2 makeshift benches Rob made out of driftwood we picked up at Montauk Point. However, our guests usually sit their drinks on the ground so this project is the perfect solution to that small issue.
SUPPLIES:
-20" resin whiskey barrel planter
-lots of wine corks (I had about 2 grocery bags full that I've collected over the years.)
-17-3/4" pine round
-round piece of glass (I found an end table at a local thrift store with a removable glass top that I scored for $10!)
-Everbilt Assorted Self-Adhesive Round Vinyl Surface Bumpers (You'll definitely want these if you're using a ceramic planter so as not to scratch your glass top!)

Optional:
-bricks/big rocks/bag of sand for weight if using a resin planter
STEP 1: Place pine round
First, I placed my pine round in my whiskey barrel planter. You can use anything round to replace the pine round such as a pizza pan. Depending on what you're going to fill the top of your planter with, you'll want to have space between the pine round (or pizza pan) and the top edge of your planter. I needed quite a bit of space because of how bulky my wine corks were so the 17-3/4" pine round gave the perfect amount of space from the top edge of the planter.
STEP 2: Fill top of planter and spread out/arrange
Next, I poured all of my wine corks in my planter. The ideas are endless as to what you can display in your planter: sand and shells, sea glass, painted pinecones, etc.
Once my wine corks were poured in, I spread them out evenly over the pine round.
STEP 3: Add vinyl bumpers
After my wine corks were arranged, I stuck vinyl bumpers to the edge of my planter so that my glass top had a little cushion to sit on.
STEP 4: Place glass
Finally, I placed my round piece of glass on top of my planter, ensuring that it was centered.
It was amazing how quick and easy this project was but even more than that, it's totally functional! We love having friends over in the summertime around our little campfire, and instead of everyone placing their drinks on the ground, we now have this cute little table that really makes a statement.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

lot 10 Wine Corks Bottle Bung Stopper Preservation DIY Cork Board 19mmx...

The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids

• Duffy V
    Duffy V

Hi. What size glass table top is that?
    I want to make this ASAP. I will be using sand and all the shells I have collected.
    Davandenberg@icloud.com
    • Since the resin barrel is 20", the glass looks to be approximately 24" - 26" - check goodwill and thrift stores first before purchasing at Walmart or Target. If you have kids, you might want plexiglass instead of tempered glass. Just depends upon how much of an overhang you wish to to have.
    • Rachel Draper
      Rachel Draper

Sand and shells! Great idea!
    • Glenda
      Glenda

I would be tempted to put little suction cups along with the bumper to grip the glass to help prevent sliding if someone bumps into the top.
  • Susan Woodhead Laliberte
    Susan Woodhead Laliberte

What purpose does the pine round serve? Why not just pour the corks into the barrel?
    • Dne11578020
      Dne11578020

It cuts down the quantity of corks needed.
    • Mji17580342
      Mji17580342

I probably got 1000 of wine corks I like to get rid of...
    • Julia Johnson Black
      Julia Johnson Black

I don't have any wine corks but I'm sure I could think of something else to put in my table. :)
    • Amy Collier Gilbert
      Amy Collier Gilbert

Sand and seashells are nice.
    • Susan Burgott
      Susan Burgott

Wine bars often save corks and make them available for recycling into art. You just have to ask, perhaps with a glass of merlot.
    • Lon14344541
      Lon14344541

I love the sand and seashells for my beachy theme
    • Lin Brooks
      Lin Brooks

You can put rocks or bricks or gravel in the bottom of the barrel for stability and weight. Then add the 'round' on top to put your special pieces (Corks, pretty rocks or whatever) on the round to be viewed thru the glass or Plexiglas top.
    • Kim
      Kim

You can also use plants just make sure the plants will live under the glass in high heat..use plants that will live in terrarium setting..p.s. add a little whimsy to it with fairies,etc...
    • Susan Burgott
      Susan Burgott

• It takes up space so I dont have to use so many corks. I don't think I'd ever collect enough if I had to fill up the entire planter.
  • Sherry Canfield
    Sherry Canfield

Great Idea! I have actually done the same thing with a couple of nice planters from costco and putting led lighting cordless strands in the bottom. First placing our nice seashells, sand dollars and beach finds on the bottom. Then a small and cheap silk sago palm (found at big lots) on top of shells. Finish with bumpers and a glass top. Viola! Coffee tables!

My question is where are you finding your most economical glass tops? That has sometimes been the most expensive piece of my project???
  • Dia14039028
    Dia14039028

What a cute idea! I'd like to try using solar lights under the glass for a different effect.
  • Cpr22340223
    Cpr22340223

How weatherproof is it? Or do you move it back under cover when you're done? I'm thinking of the mildew that wouldlikely build up in there and the mosquito nesting grounds! Sorry...I live in the Houston area and that's what we deal with!
    • X
      X

You can save those little packages that come in shipments....you know the ones that we always throw away...as long as kids can't get near them and open them.
      Silica?
    • Jennifer Diaz-Arundel
      Jennifer Diaz-Arundel

never throw those little goodies away, pop them all around the house and in shoe boxes, learnt the hard way where a paid of leather boots went mouldy! :(
    • Phyllis Williams
      Phyllis Williams

brilliant idea....I always throw them away
    • Bra16037073
      Bra16037073

These answers are not from the whiskey barrel idea... what are they talking about?

• Patti
      Patti

Yes, they are, lol. They don't want mildew/mold to grow on the corks. They are a natural product (unless they are the plastic ones, which they don't look like) and they could grow mildew/mold. The silica packs would help keep that away.
  • Dpbeee2
    Dpbeee2

Did you glue down the glass? I have a rambunctious Beagle. I actually already have every supply on hand except the pine round. Looks great by the way. Thanks.
    • Lynn Kirouac
      Lynn Kirouac

She didn't glue it down; in the pictures and tutorial you can see that she used quite a few plastic bumpers. Your dog would be able to knock it off.
    • Pat Brinkley Spencer
      Pat Brinkley Spencer

could you glue the glass to the bumpers, then they would be able to come off if you wanted to change out what's under?
    • Cathy Nelson
      Cathy Nelson

Get a piece of plexi or something similar, just in case it gets knocked
    • Judy Prier Burgess
      Judy Prier Burgess

I don't see why you couldn't glue it down if you want to.
    • Dee
      Dee

Dee
      I would use plexiglass on top and I would also put a piece on top of the corks (inside) and find something small to glue just above the inside piece of plexi (just in a couple of places) so if it gets turned over the corks want fall out.

• Dpbeee2
      Dpbeee2

Thank you all. Had not thought about plexiglass. 🤙🏼😎
    • Dee
      Dee

I have not made this project I was just offering a suggestion to protect the corks from falling out In case your beagle knocked it over. But I think I would glue the top down even if you just glued a few areas.
    • I didn't use glue but I'm sure some water resistant adhesive that can be used on multiple surfaces (maybe Gorilla Epoxy?) would work.
    • Susan Thomas
      Susan Thomas

The bumpers make it tough to move. Also, the less overlapped edge you have. Glue might not look nice.

• Phyllis Williams
    Phyllis Williams

do you have to hve the pine round specially cut, or are they a stock item?
  • Rosanne
    Rosanne

not a question - or a judgement - lucky you had all those wine corks on hand
    • Chris Kelderman
      Chris Kelderman

You can just buy wine corks.
    • Ann
      Ann

I don't drink wine but I have bought literally hundreds of wine corks at thrift stores and yard sales. I keep them in gallon jars in my craft room.
    • Vicky Park Leffert
      Vicky Park Leffert

you can also go to a local bar/restaurant and ask if they have any corks they could give you.. we have done that for projects. Very cute idea!

• KayHomeTalk
      KayHomeTalk

I've been saving mine for over 30 yrs! Drives my husband crazy?
    • Jud8975646
      Jud8975646

Too bad you aren't using those corks to cushion something - like a seat or something.
    • KayHomeTalk
      KayHomeTalk

no question mark ... but an exclamation point!
    • haha! I've actually been collecting them for years between family and friends. Trust me, we don't drink like that at all.
  • Judy Prier Burgess
    Judy Prier Burgess

No question. Just want to say I really like this idea! This would be a cute accent table anywhere. Every seat could use a table for glasses etc. Basments - porches etc. I didn't think of the wood round at first and was thinking how cold anybody have that many wine corks! But I do have enough with that!
  • Bren
    Bren

Can you leave thus out in the rain ? Does it have drain holes ?
    • Trish F
      Trish F

The planter should have drain holes, but if not drill a few if you are concerned. However, the glass top would prevent any water getting into the center by the corks.
    • You can do that to be safe but I didn't have any problem with mine since the glass is sitting in top of the planter.
  • Margaret Taggart
    Margaret Taggart

not a question use water with food coloring sock it up in the cirks and make them a drifferent color ya

• Jud8975646
      Jud8975646

corks don't absorb water!
    • Mfbandit769
      Mfbandit769

LOL. I had to read that sentence a couple of times. Actually, if it were filled with water it could get pretty funky.
  • Nan Todd
    Nan Todd

I'd suggest if you can find it, to use acrylic instead of glass for the top. Much safer outside.
    • Mar10124429
      Mar10124429

I was thinking the same thing. Much safer.
    • Ella Frierson Bond
      Ella Frierson Bond

I have all kinds of glass tables outside. They are too heavy to blow away (if that is your thinking ??) I live in Florida in Hurricane weather, never lost one. If Cat 5 is predicted I might move them. I live under so many trees that you can not see my house from satellite. Nothing has ever broken one. What else do I need to worry about?
    • Barbara S
      Barbara S

Ebond...maybe clumsy guests who are anxious to help you drink the wine so you could get enough corks to make the next table? (smile) I think the idea of plexiglass around a pool area is a good idea, though. Great project!
    • Nan Todd
      Nan Todd

Exactly my thinking - I'm a clutz! I'd probably knock it over, and cut myself on broken glass.
  • Pol22462403
    Pol22462403

What about wind? Won't the glass top fly off?
    • Margot Naylor
      Margot Naylor

I have wrought iron tables with glass tops on my patio and last year I lost three pieces of glass (expensive replacement) due to wind. I now have cast iron lanterns on each of the tables with glass tops. So far it has worked.
    • Kathleen Jenkins
      Kathleen Jenkins

Since only a small edge is exposed to the wind, it's probably not going to be a problem, unlike a table where the wind can come up under the glass.
    • Alice
      Alice

Filling the bottom with rocks before adding the wood round can also help stabilize the cute little table. I also like the plexiglass top idea.
    • YouDee
      YouDee

You could also place the glass inside the planter near the top. To me this would be preferable so as to knock the glass off center or off completely. This would eliminate the possibility of wind getting under it. Depending upon the size of the planter, there would still be plenty of room for whatever you wanted to place on it.

• I'm not too worried about the wind..the glass isn't pretty heavy as it's tempered.
  • Wendy
    Wendy

Planter is only 12.25 in high, can I add some stubby legs/feet to get table taller?
  • Molly Clark
    Molly Clark

Never heard of vinyl bumpers. Where can I find them?
    • Pj kralj
      Pj kralj

this is a plastic protector that glass replacement companies carry. Usually these are found at storefronts that cut glass and mirrors.
    • Pj kralj
      Pj kralj

• Pj kralj
      Pj kralj

• Pj kralj
      Pj kralj

• Pj kralj
      Pj kralj

• Pj kralj
      Pj kralj

• Pj kralj
      Pj kralj

• Missy Lilly Harper
      Missy Lilly Harper

They have all sizes of bumpers at Lowe's Home Improvement Center or Home Depot
    • R Walter
      R Walter

They are also used to stop banging when cabinet doors are slammed.
    • I purchased mine from Home Depot but I'm sure you can find them at most hardware/ department stores (such as WalMart and Target).
    • Ann15654395
      Ann15654395

Cut the extra corks in half or or the size you like and glue them on the rim of the table. Set your glass top on top on the corks. This should even more interest the table.
    • Msf29945373
      Msf29945373

Yes, use E6000 glue. E6000 is the actual name of this all purpose glue and is found in Walmart, Hobby Lobby, pretty much anywhere. Look for the silver tube.
  • Victoria Englert Gazdag
    Victoria Englert Gazdag

WHERE DID YOU GET THE ROUND GLASS?
    • Susan
      Susan

READ the article above - she said:
    • DEE CEE
      DEE CEE

I read hat the glass was the top of a table that was bought from a Charity Shop!
    • Cmw16916895
      Cmw16916895

I believe WalMart carries the table/glass in their furniture dept.

• Gina Kiss
      Gina Kiss

usually anywhere that sells the little three legged decorative tables has the glass tops!
    • Gina Kiss
      Gina Kiss

• Moo16045143
      Moo16045143

A glass top on uneven ground is an accident waiting to happen. Pay the price & get plexiglass at Lowes or Home Depot.
    • Trish F
      Trish F

Glass tops can be found at most hobby or hardware stores, or as mentioned anywhere that sell the 3 legged side tables.
    • off of a table I found at my local thrift store
    • Msf29945373
      Msf29945373

Pier One sells them for about $40 and up but you can probably find them cheaper (these, however, are very nice - thick and beveled edge). Or do what I always do - Google it! Type in "round glass table tops" and you get a dozens sites to check out. You may also have a local glass shop who will cut it for you and sand the edges. They can be expensive, the thicker the glass the more it costs, so check price first by calling them.
    • Laurie J
      Laurie J

I bought one at Hobby Lobby. It was really reasonably priced and they had several sizes,
  • Car23062541
    Car23062541

If u don't have wine corks available where would you find them
    • Martha Banks Pridgen
      Martha Banks Pridgen

At a bar or restaurant that serves wine
    • Moe7157747
      Moe7157747

At any craft store they sell them in bags.
    • Anne Knaggs
      Anne Knaggs

I'm glad to learn they sell corks in craft stores. I lived in Traverse City Michigan. If you ever want to visit. Wine country TC is fantastic. Also known for top quality Cherry Country. I spoke to a wine business owner a few years ago. He indicated that cork will be replace with plastic ( yuck)) plugs!

• Try going to your local bars and restaurants and asking them if they have a stash you can take.
    • Jeanette Oglenski
      Jeanette Oglenski

Another idea to replace the wine corks would be to use the glass jewels they sell at the dollar store for planters, etc. Or stone for a fish aquarium is another thought. Both would make a heavier table so if it has to be moved a lot that may not work.
    • Pamela
      Pamela

Pine cones, sea shells would be pretty as well - there is a lot of room for imagination with this idea.
      I like it a lot!
    • Candyhd84
      Candyhd84

What a fantastic idea. I have the same problem around our fire pit - placing cans & bottles on the ground which can fall over. Can't wait for Bike Week in March. I should be able to make at least 5 or 6! Thanks so much.
    • Kim
      Kim

I found some corks on E-bay and on Craig's list.
    • Barb in Texas
      Barb in Texas

My local wine store collects them for recycling, and gives them away if you want them.
    • Tammy Miller
      Tammy Miller

Drink a lot of 🍷
    • Genoveva
      Genoveva

Use other stuff. Pines, rocks, shells, stuff...

• Darla
      Darla

any store tthat sells wine supplies

• Barbara
      Barbara

I think I saw some in Walmart in the kitchen isle. Several in a bag.

• Retired teacher
    Retired teacher

How do you hold the glass in place so it doesn't fall off?

• Sarah
      Sarah

I used an old radio flyer wagon that I found at a yard sale for $8. I had a piece of glass cut 1" wider all the way around. For awhile..I had a mini village set up inside and used it as a coffee table in the living room. At the moment, it is set up outside by the hot tub with plants and flamingo's on top. The little bumpers kind of 'stick' to the glass and holds it in place. Plus, you have the weight of the glass pushing down.

• Vicky R McCullough
      Vicky R McCullough

Usually the glass is heavy enough with the bumpers to stay put.

• Karen
    Karen

Hi could you use rocks in this instead of corks? It is really windy where we live. Also I love rocks

• Angie Godbout-McMillan
      Angie Godbout-McMillan

I have the cheap plastic urns. Painted in rustolium spray paint. Black. Put white path rocks in side. Glass on top. Glass is thick and heavy. Hasn’t moved. Is stunning with led angel lights inside under glass

• Myra Bruner
      Myra Bruner

You could put anything in there. She mentioned sand & shells & a couple of other things. Rocks would work perfectly & would add weight if you used a lighter weight container. I think a solar light rope inside would look amazing. That could be added with rocks, sand, corks or anything else.

• Tina_Norris
      Tina_Norris

Possibilities are endless to each persons taste.

• Djo34035208
      Djo34035208

I did use skulls

• Debi
      Debi

Finally a thinking person! Great idea!

• Debbie Faddis
    Debbie Faddis

I've used artificial greenery inside. Get some kind of ivy.

• Marie King Clower
    Marie King Clower

Did you also save the wine bottles for another project? LOL..we are using the wine bottles in our Cord wood /clay...adobe walls... for an ongoing project... I love your table

• Shirley Olson
      Shirley Olson

LOL! As a fellow wine lover/drinker...I use my bottles in the garden: as waterers, as landscape borders, and recently I started saving to edge a pathway!!!

• Ann Huke
      Ann Huke

nice idea guess i"ll need to increase my wine consumption....

• Tiffany Loots
    Tiffany Loots

lovely idea, but wouldnt the sun be like a magnifying glass through the glass and set fire to the corks? or am i just over protective again haha

• S Moran
      S Moran

spot on Tiffany. Wouldn't put in sun anywhere... unless u added water & floated the corks, which is something i might do in sunny S. Florida... maybe dye water... or I'd likely use seashells instead. Idea of planter good jumping off point, but u could fill it with anything... but I'd top it with clear plastic, not glass, as SAFETY FIRST! We run around barefoot or close 2 it in FL - especially not glass if kids or pets around.

• Natalee
      Natalee

No

• Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

Since there is little air where the corks are, the corks will not catch fire. The corks will, however, change color over time. I’d like about three of those tables scattered throughout the yard when entertaining, some taller for people standing around, as some prefer. Great idea!

• Shirley
      Shirley

Adding water would create an algae tub. The corks aren't going to catch fire.

• Jeanne Martin
      Jeanne Martin

Just being waayyyy over protective. You have to start with a REAL magnifying glass. Regular ol' glass doesn't become a magnifying glass just because the sun is shining on it. Think about it for just a minute. Has anything caught fire in your house or car on a sunny day. No.

• Ellis
      Ellis

This is cute, but not all that inexpensive or practical. The resin wine barrel is more than $15 at Costco (lots more elsewhere), the glass top has to be more than a few dollars, and it's breakable. The corks and the pine round, I'm not sure how much that would cost.

• Rose
      Rose

That's a whole lotta wine bottles to drink

• Rose
      Rose

Ellis

• Sandra Hankins Cormier
      Sandra Hankins Cormier

the cost IF you look can be even less. Thrift store finds, close/outs, curb side throwaways. You have to THINK OUTSIDE the BOX sometimes

• Debbie Johnston
      Debbie Johnston

Depending on glass imperfections( old glass in homes) yes they do catch fire.

• Genine
      Genine

Like a terrarium how fun

• Susan Pridgen
      Susan Pridgen

My comments were. Reply to Ellis,not Tiffany. Sorry for not making that clear.

• Jameece
      Jameece

Not on a flat piece of glass. It works with bottles and magnifying glasses because the curvature of the glass focuses the light in a smaller area, concentrating the heat. Flat glass will evenly disburse the heat instead.

• Phyllis
      Phyllis

Could be fun. 😁

• Teresa Burchell
      Teresa Burchell

You've watched too much Gunsmoke. LOL

• Jean
      Jean

Cork doesn't really burn full on. It more less charcoals.

• Judie Osher Hetrick
      Judie Osher Hetrick

you don't have to drink all the wine...hahahaha, you can get bags of corks at a hobby shop or a craft store

• HFredda
      HFredda

Debbie, Jameece answers your question too.

• Gabrielle Falk
      Gabrielle Falk

I have done something similar with some beautifully decorated chinese pots. I initially put hardy plants inside,pt the pots out of the direct sun, otherwise the plants would have been totally burnt in the hot Sydney summer. And then put glass on top. However the plants grew very quickly - it was just like a little hot house. So I removed the glass, and now the plants just look beautiful spilling out over the top. You could always put imitation plants inside - just to give a bit of a 'green' colour.

• Carole Kahn
      Carole Kahn

Wow! I join you in that fear.

• Faye
    Faye

How do you want remove ceramic tiles from hall to put in hardwood ?

• Jme28724287
      Jme28724287

Get a long handled scraper from Lowe’s and chip it away! Wear safety glasses.

• Secenia
    Secenia

What is an alternative for wine corks?

• Catherine Gugerty
      Catherine Gugerty

Shells, sea glass, colorful stones, etc....

• Jane
      Jane

Sea shells, rocks, the tiny pine cones. Hit the Dollar Tree. There's always something in big quantity for inexpensive amount.

• Joy Teel Cleckley
      Joy Teel Cleckley

Artificial flowers, Christmas balls, glass door knobs, marbles, moss balls. Check out ideas on pintrest.

• Teri Backlund
      Teri Backlund

River rocks or colored glass rocks from the dollar tree. We also have battery lights that have a remote control. They change colors. O think the light with glass stones would be beautuful.

• Teresa Fowell
      Teresa Fowell

I like the suggestions she made of using sea shells, or sea glass, or painted pinecones. You can also try pretty stones, agates, marbles, glass or plastic beads, some sand , some small pieces of driftwood and dried flowers. Look through an arts and crafts website, book, or a shop for other ideas.

• Victoria
      Victoria

AnanySmythanything you want!

Sea shells. Beautiful rocks broken dishes you mosaic or place. Old toy cars. It's endless!

• Kim
      Kim

i think succulents surrounded with decorative rock would be absolutely beautiful and amazing!

• Judy
      Judy

I put sand, some pretty rocks, sticks with a bit of moss on them, and an empty bird's nest with fake eggs.

• Tara
      Tara

Decorative river rocks!

• Tara
      Tara

Or if you didn't want to fill it with something you could always flip the barrel upside down and put the glass on.

• Brenda H
      Brenda H

I would use sand and an assortment of shells, rocks, or flat glass marbles.

• Kathy Parker
      Kathy Parker

Pine cones, rocks, nice fake greenery.. etc

• AJ
      AJ

I think a assortment.of different types and colors of marbles would look good

• LuAnne
      LuAnne

I'm going to plant something in the pot. I see a maidenhair fern or maybe orchids

• Debra
      Debra

I have a huge box of mini driftwood pieces that would look fun in it.

• Julie L Taylor
      Julie L Taylor

You could use anything you collect to make it your own unique piece. Also beach shells, pebbles with beach glass and shells would be pretty for a more costal theme

• Jean
      Jean

A sedum garden or just about anything that can fit in a container that you enjoy.

• Tracy Gappen Riggs
      Tracy Gappen Riggs

Maybe a Fairy Garden? Instead of dirt, I think a colored sand would look pretty. Or even different colors of sand, under the fairy garden.

• Chris Wyland Soliday
      Chris Wyland Soliday

Sea shells, sand with star fish/ shells...shark teeth/ beach finds

• Amanda Funk Marshall
      Amanda Funk Marshall

River rocks!

• PB
      PB

Anything.....

• FYI newcomer
      FYI newcomer

Colored pine cones

• Gabrielle Falk
    Gabrielle Falk

What a simple, and unique decor item. Did you drink lots of wine to get the corks? Just joking.

• Yolanda
    Yolanda

How big do you think the glass round is you used for this project?

• Carole Kahn
    Carole Kahn

Great Decor Piece! (with functionality!!)

• Amanda Funk Marshall
    Amanda Funk Marshall

I love this idea. I have a metal bucket that I'm thinking of doing it like this. It hasxa lid tho and I had thought about storing my outside tools in it then making a light weight waterproof table top for my storage table .