Sarah Trop
Sarah Trop
  • Troy, NY

Transitional Interior Design Project

5 Months
Advanced

I usually show you before and after of furniture makeovers, but today I thought I’d mix it up a bit and show you an interior design job I’ve been working on since November.
transitional interior design project
They trusted me on some decisions they weren't sure about and were willing to make adjustments that made a huge impact on the final look.
transitional interior design project
As you walk into the room, your eyes wanted to go to the far wall, but it was lacking in wow factor. I wanted to make the room feel like it kept going so I went with a dark blue/gray/teal color and then changed the other three walls to a warm, brown friendly gray.
transitional interior design project
I wanted them to get a hutch for the large wall because I knew that would send this design out of the park! I took a risk and bought this hutch without them knowing and practically begged them to buy it for the space.
transitional interior design project
They did and I’m so glad!! If you want to see how we paint furniture, check out our How to Paint Furniture post.
transitional interior design project
We also custom built the table. The rest we let them know where to purchase (light, picture, chairs).
transitional interior design project
If you love today’s makeover, reach out to us using our Contact Us form to ask us to help you reinvent your space! You can also check out new furniture for sale on our website here! If you’d like to purchase it, please use our Contact Us form or stop by our store at 272 River Street, Troy, NY. I’ve also added quite a few other new pieces to the store!

• Hutch
  • Farm table

To see more: http://funcycled.com/beforeandafter/transitional-interior-design-project/

• Colette Nicholas-Lundberg

What type of paint did you use? There is sooooo much out there getting confused on what type of paint...... Chalk paint, house paint, sand and clean before paint, don't sand, varnish, wax. ARGH
  • Dim28438726

Stunning! Where is the hanging light from? I've been looking for months!

• Eileen

Where did you get the chairs please?

I love the look!

• PS....absolutely love your re-do of the china cabinet.

• Lisa Provost

I love it just the way it is! If you love it I wouldn’t change a thing! I honestly don’t like sconces on the wall...so it’s just a personal taste! I was also thinking your chairs look GREAT!! Thanks for sharing!! My hubby made a China Hutch for his Mom in 1980...he was a Senior in high school. I inherited it...it’s really dark and plain, but a keep sake! I want to add some white to it somehow, but he won’t let me touch it! 😱😱

• Kellie

I saw an idea where you can cover foam/poster board with fabric or even wallpaper and fit it into the inside of a bookcase. I'm sure you could do that to the interior of the hutch to lighten it up without your husband objecting since it just pops right out without damaging anything.