Jeremy Dixon
Jeremy Dixon
  • Clarksville, TN

Tea Light Personal Space Heater

This may sound like one of those “free” energy things, and I’ll admit that I was a bit skeptical about this working until this morning. After spending a morning next to this thing, I can now say that this tea light candle heater actually works. You have to be near it to get warmer or have a small space to heat, but it works…really.
What is it? Basically it is 4 tea light candles, placed in a foil lined bread dish, covered up with one terracotta pot and that covered up with a larger terracotta pot.How well does it work?I have a relatively large space in my completely unheated basement office, but if i put it next to where I’m sitting I can definitely feel the heat.
Why it works: The inner pot gets really warm, even hot to the touch, so I imagine that the two pot system helps keep some of the heat contained so it can slowly let it radiate from the pot instead of letting the candles heat dissipate quickly in the cold air. I’m sure there are many others who know a lot more about the inner workings of this type of a heating method.
How I made mine: 1 glass bread dish (metal would probably work better if we had one)Line the dish with aluminum foil (I figure it would help reflect the heat back at the pots)4 tea light candles placed in the center of the dish (you can get 100 of them from amazon for $8.95) one smaller clay pot, set on the dish (must be large enough to rest on the top of the dish to create airflow for the candles) a larger clay pot set on top of the whole thing but resting on the top of the bread dish.
tea light personal space heater, crafts, hvac, repurposing upcycling
Jeremy Dixon

• Dorene Valerio

Why or what would this kind of heater be needed?

• Jud1971752

Perfect for emergencies in winter... keep in your car. Also tenting on a cool evening!

• Sheila Mark

Can you set a cup of tea or coffee on top to keep your drink warm?

• Carla DiAngelo Smith

It’s of all, PLEASE don’t put your coffee cup on top of the terra cotta planters. it would be like stacking a folding chair on top of another unsteady folding chair!!

Next, if you did have everything taped down and you wanted to put your coffee up there, it wouldn’t have to be centered because the candles are not getting their oxygen from those little hole. They are getting it from the open sides of the loaf pan.

Also, the heat would not escape from the open areas at the bottom. Remember basic science, heat rises! Think of a hot air balloon, it has that great big whole right above the flame. Because heat rises, so it goes into the balloon.

• Kent

I don't understand why this would be any warmer than just burning the 4 candles on their own.

• Gle17465133

...would this work in a 40'ft container, my son uses in the desert, used for sleeping, while camping out.? Thanks for sharing.

• Lavada Jones

• Have used this heater for 3 winters, It works. Have a old house and I use 4 unscented and 1 scented candles.