What can I use to replace the screening of a porch besides screening?

+14
  • Shawn Shawn on Apr 18, 2017
    Any light weight fabric will work. You could do a simple muslin or get something with a print that can change with the seasons. I've also seen lace used.

• Kathryn Bushong Kathryn Bushong on Apr 19, 2017
    Lace. Buy it at your local fabric store
  • Dfm Dfm on Apr 22, 2017
    shower curtains come to mind - not the plastic ones but the nylon fabric ones. shade cloth might work as well
  • Janet Hathcock Janet Hathcock on Apr 22, 2017
    Landscape fabric. Can be bought at Dollar stores. Many uses!
  • Bulldog Bulldog on May 04, 2017
    Shade fabric
  • Dale Dale on May 04, 2017
    Nice idea. Thank you!
  • Jane Briggs Jane Briggs on May 04, 2017
    Cheap nylon curtains???
  • Dfm Dfm on May 04, 2017
    If u decide on shade cloth check prices between big box diy stores and commercial plant growers. a growers supply company might have remnants marked much less expensive
    • Dale Dale on May 05, 2017
      Yes, I will definitly shop around dor whatever I end up getting.I guess with shade cloth I would need Velcro instead of the usual spline.
  • Dfm Dfm on May 05, 2017
    shade cloth is a knitted material- the growers supply places use it for the shade houses for the temporary hoop type green houses found in parking lots this time of year. you can get it in black, white or green. I had panels made to fit the in between the studs of a enclosed 2nd story deck. you can also add grommets and use wire or curtain hardware to hang them. you could also just staple it in place.

it comes in different sun block ratings. 60-90 % blocking power.
  • C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on May 05, 2017
    Maybe a drop cloth .
  • Dale Dale on May 06, 2017
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate all your help.