Homemade Wood Privacy Screens

$120.00
1 Week
Advanced

Lately, our neighborhood has been under construction. Lots of new homes are getting built. I don't know if it is the fact that we got used to have just empty lots around us, but as soon as those home started to go up, we felt the need to add a little "privacy" to our back porch.

One day while browsing on Pinterest I came across this beautiful porch with wooden screens. We both loved this look, so my husband got to work and recreated the same kind of screens.
When it was all said and done, we painted them the same color as the siding of our home so when you see them from the street, they don't look off.
We installed them using thin but heavy duty chain and large eye hooks.
So happy with this project. More pictures on the blog.

Maria L

• Loi3181180

Very much inspired....please tell me your measurement...how long is your porch and how long and wide are each panel of the panels?

• Tommy

What size wood was used and amount of spacing to create lattice look.

• Nina Mcrae

You can always find options that would work for you ,like fabric with designs (can be taken down and washed with hose).Or go to the garden center and look for lattice work already made..frame as you'd like.

• Penny-Marie

I looked up the chains & it says they are 14 feet long. How did you make them shorter lengths? How did you open the eye hooks to fasten the chains to them?

• Maria L

Hi, Penny-Marie, my husband did it very easily with pliers. We just measured the length we needed and using the pliers we opened a little bit one of the links of the chain to remove the rest. When you buy the eye hooks, they are not completely closed so we bought a chain that could fit into that opening with just a little force. Everything has stayed in place for over two and a half years now and the panels have survived several very strong storms and two winters without a problem. Hope this helps.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Love these, well done

• Barb Kiebel

This is perfect! I have been trying to think of a way to provide both shade and screen the neighbor's backyard while not blocking my own garden through my deck rails. I've used an outdoor blind for 4 years now and I need something else. It works fine unless it gets in the wind and then it might loosen its moorings, flopping around all over the place and I'm so tired of hearing that at 2 in the morning and having to rush outside in the middle of a rainstorm and fix it!

I was looking for do-it-yourself ideas because most latticework is too wide open. I want mine tighter than yours even because their yard is so damn ugly and I've worked so hard on mine.

I especially appreciate the answer to the wind because I'm in Colorado and there will be wind!