Homemade Wood Privacy Screens

$120.00
1 Week
Advanced

Lately, our neighborhood has been under construction. Lots of new homes are getting built. I don't know if it is the fact that we got used to have just empty lots around us, but as soon as those home started to go up, we felt the need to add a little "privacy" to our back porch.

One day while browsing on Pinterest I came across this beautiful porch with wooden screens. We both loved this look, so my husband got to work and recreated the same kind of screens.
When it was all said and done, we painted them the same color as the siding of our home so when you see them from the street, they don't look off.
We installed them using thin but heavy duty chain and large eye hooks.
So happy with this project. More pictures on the blog.

Maria L

• Susan holden

I need idea for my deck with no cover. Under deck is concrete. Please help.

• Jgw22040944

Make a folding screen from shutters attached together with hinges, using
      as many shutters as you need for the space.
    • Michele Mcmahan

I'm thinking posts. Dig post hole, sink post, 4x4 or 6x6 with post cement, construct screens and hang inbetween posts. That way you could make them as tall as needed. Post cement is easiest, dump dry bag into hole around post, level post, add water. Relevel. If the posts are done right, can beams for a pergola be far behind?
  • Debbie Murphy

I love these panals. Great job! My question is this, do they help block the sun at all? I need to get something because we get am sun on one side which means we get pm sun on the other. Almost can't sit out there. Thanks!
    • Marianne

We had lived in Tennessee and the sun was nasty. We had purchased a crank outdoor solar shade that we put on the west end of our pergola. We found it at Lowe's. Made a world of difference!
    • Marianne

You can also buy outdoor solar curtain panels!
    • Rhonda Bletsh

Marianne - what do you mean by solar curtain panel? And, where did you find them? Do they work well for you?
    • Debbie Murphy

Thanks! I will on the lookout for the shades and/or panels.
    • Maria L

Thank you! They do give some shade but don't block the sun all the way.
    • Marianne

Debbie you can find them in most stores.....Amazon...Walmart....Home Depot....Lowe's.....I think Bed Bath & Beyond has them also. Do an internet search for outdoor curtains. They make a big difference!
  • Mic22186406

What a beautiful job! What size wood did you use and how did you frame it? Did you us a router to make the channels, or a chisel? I would like to do this in a way that turns it into a whole fence in an area of my yard.

Thanks,

Michele
    • Maria L

Thank you Michele. we used 1 x 3's. The channels were made on the table saw with attachment.
  • Jjohnwemrich

a) was the slats and frame one by threes b) how did you attach them; pins, nails, glue??? Thank you and compliments on a neat tedious job.
    • Maria L

Thank you! Yes, the slats and frames are one by threes. My husband used glue to attach them.
  • Richard Belmonte

These look great, however my one concern is: How are these on very windy days? Do you take them down?
    • Maria L

Thank you, Richard. Actually, it gets pretty windy here and with that in mind, we installed them using 8 inch eye hook screws that are bolted up into the porch frame and made the chain as tight as possible. Even after huge storms passed through our city with 50 mph wind gust, they did not move at all.
    • Gina Pace

I was going to ask that too! Are they attached top and bottom or only hung from top?
    • Maria L

Hi Gina, yes, they are attached top and bottom. We used eight inch eyehook screws for top that go right into the frame of the porch and smaller ones on the banister. We also used the heavy duty chain and they are super secured, they don't move at all. Hope this helps.
  • Cat

Why didn't you just hang another curtain ? Just wondering....
    • Lee Brown

Obvious to the rest of us........because the lattice panels are much prettier, and on top of that, they allow air flow as well.
    • Los6674666

And the wind will make billowing curtains, don't need that slapping you around! lol This project is beautiful!
  • Craig Reed

where can I find your porch railing? Did you build it or buy from big box store?
    • Maria L

Hi Craig, we did build all the porch railing and banisters when we added our deck. Everything was built in our garage.
    • Linda Kelley Bridges

Maria L. Those are beautiful! They add a touch of class & privacy to your patio. Your husband is a talented man & handy to make these. Tell him he gets a big tall congratulations from Southeast Texas!!
    • Katie

And congrats from North Central Texas too! Love it!
    • Sharon Kaiser

Check out deckdepot.com online. They have all kinds of supplies for building your own railings like this. I have shopped them many times.
  • M

it doesn't look like you are getting much privacy from those. they would have to be closer together and the boards more condensed on each square. i do like the idea though. thanks
    • Caseyem11

I have had similar screens. The lattice provides just enough privacy without blocking air flow. You can see shapes but not much else. Reminds me of when I take off my glasses. 😝
    • TMS21652703

I think it is perfect...you wanted SOME privacy, not a wall built , Good Job !!!!
  • Christy Roppel

Love this! Does Jasmine (or the like) grow in your area? That might look good climbing on the trellis
  • Loi3181180

Very much inspired....please tell me your measurement...how long is your porch and how long and wide are each panel of the panels?

• Tommy

What size wood was used and amount of spacing to create lattice look.

• Nina Mcrae

Looks.like furring strips? (Sp?)

• Nina Mcrae

You can always find options that would work for you ,like fabric with designs (can be taken down and washed with hose).Or go to the garden center and look for lattice work already made..frame as you'd like.

• Penny-Marie

I looked up the chains & it says they are 14 feet long. How did you make them shorter lengths? How did you open the eye hooks to fasten the chains to them?

• Maria L

Hi, Penny-Marie, my husband did it very easily with pliers. We just measured the length we needed and using the pliers we opened a little bit one of the links of the chain to remove the rest. When you buy the eye hooks, they are not completely closed so we bought a chain that could fit into that opening with just a little force. Everything has stayed in place for over two and a half years now and the panels have survived several very strong storms and two winters without a problem. Hope this helps.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Love these, well done

• Barb Kiebel

This is perfect! I have been trying to think of a way to provide both shade and screen the neighbor's backyard while not blocking my own garden through my deck rails. I've used an outdoor blind for 4 years now and I need something else. It works fine unless it gets in the wind and then it might loosen its moorings, flopping around all over the place and I'm so tired of hearing that at 2 in the morning and having to rush outside in the middle of a rainstorm and fix it!

I was looking for do-it-yourself ideas because most latticework is too wide open. I want mine tighter than yours even because their yard is so damn ugly and I've worked so hard on mine.

I especially appreciate the answer to the wind because I'm in Colorado and there will be wind!