Re-doing Counter Tops to Look Like Granite Cheaply With No Paint

I found this product online while researching the stainless steel films (one's used to cover appliances so look like Stainless steel) . It is a "granite" film for counter tops (Rachel Ray speaks up for it and has used), http://www.instant-granite.com/ After researching it and reading installation tutorial, Hubby and I have decided we are going to use this on craft room counter tops we are making from plywood or particle board. We are going to add a molded trim and then install this film over. Besides looking great from pictures I have seen of it installed, it seems super easy to do , durable and best of all Cheap. (especially compared to some of the paint kits or laminate prices.) I included 1 picture of what product looks like installed (they have 3 colors available) Says only tools needed are: A pencil, a ruler, scissors, a plastic squeegee, a hair dryer or heat gun and eventually a sharp knife are all you need..... And goes over any flat surface--If was a tiled surface most likely would end up looking like granite tiles. But goes easily over molded edges.
re doing counter tops to look like granite cheaply with no paint, countertops, painting

• L John

are there more products available like this for wood overlays?

• Cynthia E

@L John I really do not know, will start searching if I find anything will answer back.

• Pat

@L John Hi - if you don't care about the food safe aspect of the ink, then just go search out auto vinyl wrap, or 3M wrap. There are wood patterns, and various gloss finishes. I used auto vinyl for a refrigerator, worked great. The granite pattern for countertops held up ok, but after two years there is a dulling of the finish in some areas (likely what I cleaned it with). Still better than almond formica!

• Carol Robertson

What is the name of this stuff? I don't think I saw it mentioned anywhere. I can't buy it if I don't know what to ask for.

• Jim Trout

Has anyone using it had to deal with an "L" shaped countertop? How do you deal with the 90 degree turn?

• Cynthia E

I'm not sure , but I suspect you would cut this at the 90 degree turn on both edges and lay it down. I would suggest contacting them through their customer support and asking them how
      to handle it. :)

• @45degrees 1 seam going from outer corner to wall corner :)

• Christy Campbell

This is awesome, thanks for posting, I believe I have found what I need to update my counters! They have 5 different colors now!

• Carol Robertson

I am going to try it! I have been looking for an answer for a long time and this just might be it!