Hang a Collection of Watering Cans to Decorate a Garden Shed

My galvanized watering cans were collected over the years from flea markets and antique malls, some European, but most made in USA. They’re a rag-tag bunch, complete with dents and missing roses. While I love to find them in mint condition with their roses intact, I’m fond of those that were well used, imagining all the flowers and gardens they watered. I hung part of my collection on the corner of my Potting Shed a couple of years ago, where a rain chain would hang, but to be decorative rather than functional.
hang a collection of watering cans to decorate a garden shed
I used a length of 10 foot chain I found at Lowe’s for $9.00. The chain is light-duty and meant to hold 35 pounds, which means I’m probably close to maximum capacity with 12 watering cans hanging on it. ;)
I’ve had a lot of questions and emails about my watering can chain recently, and I realized I never did a post to be able refer you to.
Here’s some answers to your questions about the ‘chain gang’ ;) and how to put one together if you have a collection of watering cans, to hang along a garden fence or by a tool or garden shed.
The chain hangs on a heavy-duty screw eye or threaded eye hook. I used a pair of pliers to open the first link in the chain to hang on the hook under the eave of the roof.
I used a set of metal shower curtain rings that I picked up at Walmart. The rings are clipped on the chain and flex to open and close to attach the handles of the watering cans. The rings came in a package of 12 for under $2.00.
The bottom of the chain is attached to the siding with another screw, so the watering cans are anchored and don’t bang around if there is a breeze.
I don’t usually have to worry about the cans filling up with water with it hanging under the eave. I positioned the watering cans at the bottom of the chain so they point down rather than up. After a shower or heavy rain, I’ll check the cans towards the bottom of chain and empty any water that collects.
If you live where you get a lot of rain, and worried about standing water breeding mosquitoes, you can use Mosquito Dunks.  I use them in the summer months in my bird baths. They’re available at garden centers and online and kill mosquito larvae. They’re safe for use in fish ponds, bird baths and animal drinking troughs. Each dunk or “donut” works for 30 days and can be broken into pieces to treat smaller areas, like watering cans, flower pots or anywhere where water stands.
I’ve added flags to watering cans celebrate the Red, White & Blue for Memorial and Independence Day. . . 
And added greenery to the watering cans to decorate for Christmas.

I've had been asked where you can find galvanized watering cans. You can find vintage ones on eBay and Etsy as well as at flea markets. New galvanized watering cans can be found at hardware stores and garden centers.
You can find more Watering Can Love and in a post here. More details and photos at the link below!

Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Colimbia1

Love this and all of the decorative ideas. Where in the world did you get all of those galvanized watering cans?
  • Msa22334458

Doesn't the chain get rusty?
    • Maggie Kimble-Bernard

Even better if it does!
    • Maj22230097

So what?
      But, if you don't want them to rust spray with clear rustoleum!!!
    • Linda Ann Graham

If you get the right chain, it won't rust; I've used chains to anchor privacy curtains around my rear deck for years and they don't rust.
    • Hi, All of the above! I don't object to the rusting chain but use stainless steel for a rust-free option or use a clear coat spray.
    • Nico

If it rusts and she gets "terminal" rust it will break and Down go the cans mosquito killer and all :) ...
  • Kristal Rorabaugh Olmstead

I love the wreaths on your door! Did you make them?
  • Sro22330781

I like the idea, but these cans will be a haven for hatching mosquitoes, won't they?
  • Fran

Not really a question, just an observation. Great idea. This is very cute ad clever! Since I live in the tropics, I think I would drill hole at the lowest point of each can to let water drain out because mosquitos are a big problem and I wouldn't want to forget to add the pellets each month..
  • Kyralee

In the last picture, it looks like your watering cans are on a ladder. Was that taken before you made the chain? I love that look too!
  • Mic14081154

I'm just curious; Is the structure where you're hanging the cans a tiny house or just a gardening shed. It looks very small. Great idea though!
    • Potting Shed :)

• Diane Erckman

I LOVE what you've done. I thought you might be a little gift shop in some tourist area. It's so quaint. Looks like you have lots of property. Is your main residence decorated to this extreme and in the same bright happy colors? Actually, I wouldn't think that would be very practical, but depending on the style of your home, the same colors might look really country quaint. You definitely have a unique touch ! Did I tell you I LOVE it? :)
    • Bunny

Just love you little place! So vibrant in color! Life has to be good! Yeah!!!! Love!
  • POE POE

How do you manage to tear yourself away from this very happy and beautiful place?
  • Amg7639239

Just a comment. I love the watering cans. I've got one that's about 100 yrs old and im gonna hang it and put flowers 🌺 in it.
  • Toni

Love your tiny house potting shed? I could live there! really cute.
  • Spo9480817

Is this "your" shed? My hubby has a shed that subs as his mancave. I love the way you have the shed decorated and landscaped. Just beautiful!
  • Daw14069830

Could holes be punched in the watering cans to be used outdoors?

• Nancy Evans

No question. But your shed is a dream.
    • Thanks Nancy :)
    • Rosel Kynast

I am so jealous , I would like a garden shed like that.
      If I had one like that I would live in it, just sit and read,oh what a life.
      Like Nancy said, your shed is a dream, and so welcoming with the decorations. Thanks for posting.
    • Tina

I absolutely love it!!! I have a shed at my rent house where my daughter lives and I want to do this to it!!
  • June Gay Jackson

Maybe you should change the direction of the tool at the end of Pot. People might think it's an outhouse.
  • Judy Lynn Baker

the shed looks different in different pictures. Is it the same shed. Why does it say POT on the top?
  • Ramona Parrino

Where do you buy mosquito dunks ??I have a fountain and bird baths and know they are breeding in them .Your projects are cool,! Thanks for sharing !👏🏻
    • You can find them at Home Depot, garden centers or they're available on Amazon, just do a Google search. :)
    • Ave23066759

If you put a splash of bleach in the water, it will kill larvae and is still safe for birds... 1 TBSP per filling is plenty... works great to keep cut flower water clean also!!! Been using it for years...
    • Judith K Holt

Walmart has them
  • Vpn07

What is the climbing vine growing up and over the door?
  • Genie Hall

would this idea work for hanging buoys?
  • Debbie Rich

This is such a cute idea!! But, how would you keep wasps from building nests in the cans?
  • Donna

This looks absolutely gorgeous! PLEASE, where did you get that compass star?
  • Janet Crain

Love everything about your shed. Here in Texas, yellow jackets will build a nest in any sheltered location, including my watering cans. I wonder how to prevent that?
    • Yellow Jackets build nests in the ground. Wasps will nest in a pot or watering can. There’s nothing I know that will prevent that unfortunately. Wasps typically don’t attack unless they’re defending their nest. If you’re highly allergic you should avoid hanging watering cans by a walkway or door to avoid a sting.

• Dee

I would paint the inside of them blue as they do in Mexico. It works on my patio.

• Lynn Sorrell

The Paper Wasps and the Mud Daubers will not build a nest on the blue paint.Yellow Jackets---if the entrance to the nest is easy to see, it can be blocked using a large, clear bowl. Use caution as there may be more than one entrance to underground nests. Set the bowl over the nest entrance and work it into the ground a bit so there are no exit routes for the wasps. This will confuse the wasps, but they won’t try to dig a new entrance.They do not dig their own holes/nests the Queen find already dug holes then occupies it. The bowl should remain in place for several weeks and they will die.All these are important to plant reproduction and some even kill other insects that destroy plants it's best to try not to kill them if not neccessary.

• Charli Wessinger

Do you ever have issues with wasps building nest in them?
  • Ellen Bybee

Silly question I know.....Love the colors of your shed. What are the colors you used? Love the way you have so creatively decorated your shed and the flowers you used to accent your area.

• Carolyn

LOVE this!

• Dee

The shed and area around it are wonderful! From the opening picture, my eye caught how you put a small fence border in front of the open area on the porch. I have lattice on mine and it's all lopsided and broken. I'm going to try the fence border...thanks for the idea!