Hang a Collection of Watering Cans to Decorate a Garden Shed

My galvanized watering cans were collected over the years from flea markets and antique malls, some European, but most made in USA. They’re a rag-tag bunch, complete with dents and missing roses. While I love to find them in mint condition with their roses intact, I’m fond of those that were well used, imagining all the flowers and gardens they watered. I hung part of my collection on the corner of my Potting Shed a couple of years ago, where a rain chain would hang, but to be decorative rather than functional.
hang a collection of watering cans to decorate a garden shed
I used a length of 10 foot chain I found at Lowe’s for $9.00. The chain is light-duty and meant to hold 35 pounds, which means I’m probably close to maximum capacity with 12 watering cans hanging on it. ;)
I’ve had a lot of questions and emails about my watering can chain recently, and I realized I never did a post to be able refer you to.
Here’s some answers to your questions about the ‘chain gang’ ;) and how to put one together if you have a collection of watering cans, to hang along a garden fence or by a tool or garden shed.
The chain hangs on a heavy-duty screw eye or threaded eye hook. I used a pair of pliers to open the first link in the chain to hang on the hook under the eave of the roof.
I used a set of metal shower curtain rings that I picked up at Walmart. The rings are clipped on the chain and flex to open and close to attach the handles of the watering cans. The rings came in a package of 12 for under $2.00.
The bottom of the chain is attached to the siding with another screw, so the watering cans are anchored and don’t bang around if there is a breeze.
I don’t usually have to worry about the cans filling up with water with it hanging under the eave. I positioned the watering cans at the bottom of the chain so they point down rather than up. After a shower or heavy rain, I’ll check the cans towards the bottom of chain and empty any water that collects.
If you live where you get a lot of rain, and worried about standing water breeding mosquitoes, you can use Mosquito Dunks.  I use them in the summer months in my bird baths. They’re available at garden centers and online and kill mosquito larvae. They’re safe for use in fish ponds, bird baths and animal drinking troughs. Each dunk or “donut” works for 30 days and can be broken into pieces to treat smaller areas, like watering cans, flower pots or anywhere where water stands.
I’ve added flags to watering cans celebrate the Red, White & Blue for Memorial and Independence Day. . . 
And added greenery to the watering cans to decorate for Christmas.

I've had been asked where you can find galvanized watering cans. You can find vintage ones on eBay and Etsy as well as at flea markets. New galvanized watering cans can be found at hardware stores and garden centers.
You can find more Watering Can Love and in a post here. More details and photos at the link below!

Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Janet Crain

Love everything about your shed. Here in Texas, yellow jackets will build a nest in any sheltered location, including my watering cans. I wonder how to prevent that?
    • Lynn Sorrell

The Paper Wasps and the Mud Daubers will not build a nest on the blue paint.Yellow Jackets---if the entrance to the nest is easy to see, it can be blocked using a large, clear bowl. Use caution as there may be more than one entrance to underground nests. Set the bowl over the nest entrance and work it into the ground a bit so there are no exit routes for the wasps. This will confuse the wasps, but they won’t try to dig a new entrance.They do not dig their own holes/nests the Queen find already dug holes then occupies it. The bowl should remain in place for several weeks and they will die.All these are important to plant reproduction and some even kill other insects that destroy plants it's best to try not to kill them if not neccessary.

• Charli Wessinger

Do you ever have issues with wasps building nest in them?
  • Ellen Bybee

Silly question I know.....Love the colors of your shed. What are the colors you used? Love the way you have so creatively decorated your shed and the flowers you used to accent your area.

• Carolyn

LOVE this!

• Dee

The shed and area around it are wonderful! From the opening picture, my eye caught how you put a small fence border in front of the open area on the porch. I have lattice on mine and it's all lopsided and broken. I'm going to try the fence border...thanks for the idea!