Dip Dye Decor

$0-60

I'm sure by now most of you have seen at least one item in a store that appears to have been dipped in paint. I know I've been seeing dip dyed wicker baskets in several places and I just had to have one so I figured I'd try the technique with a handful of items to see how they turned out. I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome of all five items I tried this technique on!
dip dye decor
SUPPLIES:
-Behr Interior Flat paint (Colors: French Colony and Tapestry Red)
-HDX 20 gal. plastic bin (you can use any container to pour the paint in for this project)
-different objects for dipping [I used a wooden oar, candelabra, lamp, step stool and a basket for my objects.]

Not pictured:
-paint brush (optional)
-Rustoleum metallic copper spray paint (optional)
dip dye decor
STEP 1: Prep objects (optional)
I know not everyone will use the same objects that I did to dip dye but in case you're curious how I did each object, I figured I'd throw this little step in.
I found a plain, black lamp at my local thrift store that I wanted to dip dye; however, I didn't want the lamp black so I taped off the parts of the lamp that I didn't want changed and used some metallic copper spray paint I had on hand to change the base color.

dip dye decor
STEP 2: Pour paint and dip
As you can see, I went a little overboard on the size of the container I used to pour my paint in. I didn't want to get too much paint because I knew I wasn't going to need an entire gallon, especially since I wanted to use two different colors. Hindsight I would have used a much smaller container. Oh well, lesson earned!
dip dye decor
For the lamp, I tried to keep my container at an angle so I could essentially spin the lamp inside the paint. To get the paint further up on the lamp, I scooped the paint with the bottom edge of the lamp. I know this can be done with a paintbrush as well but I really wanted it to look as if the paint was put on haphazardly.
dip dye decor
Between the lampshade I purchased at Home Depot for this thrift store lamp and the colors of the lamp itself, I love this addition to our newly decorated living room!
dip dye decor
Another random piece of decor I found at my local thrift store was an old wooden oar. It was super long so I cut it down quite a bit with our chop saw and rounded out the end a bit with a piece of 60 grit sandpaper. Then, I took the paddle end and rolled it around in my container of paint, again, trying to make it not-so-perfect looking.
dip dye decor
I love how the paint turned out on this ore! To me, it really looks almost like the paint is still wanting to drip down the wood. Because Bo and CC will be sharing a room, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to mount this oar on the wall but I'm very much considering it being a part of their room decor permanently. Possibly a camping/"glamping"/outdoor theme?
dip dye decor
Finally, with the same French Colony color, I dipped the top of a step stool I had gotten for Bo since he's now at the age where he wants to do things himself like brushing his teeth and washing his hands. I used the help of a small paint brush to wipe off the excess paint that was on the top of the stool but again, I didn't want perfectly straight lines which is why I did the dipping technique.
dip dye decor
To say Bo loves his new stool is an understatement! He picks this cute little thing up and takes it around the house to reach things like the light switch in his room and books on his shelves.
dip dye decor
Another color I wanted to use in our house was this really pretty Tapestry Red by Behr. I'm more of a warm tone girl but I've tried to settle with cool colors, especially in our living room, so the space looks more open and airy. However, I've got to have my reds and oranges in my life somehow so I chose this color as an accent to pop here and there.
dip dye decor
I've been seeing dipped baskets at Pottery Barn and other places of the sort, but of course the price tags are way out of my frugal range so I decided to try my hand at dipping one myself. I just decided to wing it and dip it freestyle, putting it in the paint at different angles so that the paint line wasn't perfect; however, you can always use some painter's tape to make a boundary for a straighter paint line.
dip dye decor
I'm in love with this basket!!! Whether I need it to hold throw blankets or to hold diapers and wipes in the living room so I don't have to take the kids to their room to change their diapers, this is the perfect little way to hold everyday items while still having them look as part of your everyday decor.
dip dye decor
The last item I dipped was a bit of an experiment. I found a plain black candelabra at my local thrift store and thought it may look cool being dipped. Like the stool, I used a small paint brush to help get the paint up to a certain point so that the paint line wasn't perfectly straight.
dip dye decor
I really like the way the paint color pops against the black and how thick the paint looks; to me, it almost looks like wax because of the matte finish.

All-in-all, trying this whole dip dye technique was a success and I think I may be going basket shopping at Marshalls and the thrift store soon because I believe I've developed a bit of an obsession with the dipped baskets! {shhh don't tell Rob}

• Joe Jones

Did you know they make a paint especially for that? It’s made by the people that make plastidip plastidip also has s dip that you use for tool handles and things. So they started making the paint for this so it’s thicker and doesn’t just looks like it was painted. BTW the question about why go through all that why not just paint it is rude as hell

• Terri

The question you referred to is not rude. The person doesnt understand she didn't want straight lines. I would have the same question. Is it because its trendy, different, you just dont want straight lines, the thickness of the coating. I would think you can do that by painting but would it not look the same.

You're response is rude and keeps people from learning.

• Benesse

Why not just paint the object?

• Cirgot

You're right. Way too much trouble and mess.

Just use extra paint on your brush.

• Linda Premo

I do have one question on the dipped basket. I didn’t see this in your instructions. Is there a special way you need to leave these pieces while they dry so they don’t stick to another surface? Thanks,

Lin

• Patty

If you have a basket without a handle, consider placing it on balls of foil or a few plastic forks sitting on newspaper. I'd avoid turning it over.

• Karen

You can use a paintbrush and get the same effect with less the mess and less waste of paint. Not something I would do. Oh well.

• Ruth McAlpin

Love