Upcycle Tin Can Pine Cone Planters

In honor of Earth Day, we are sharing a tin can planter idea using pine cones to add texture. These colorful planters are easy to make and look great sitting on a shelf or as part of a grouping.
upcycle tin can pine cone planters
I used small tin cans and 12 pine cones for this project. You may need more or less pine cones depending on the size of the can and the size of the pine cone.
upcycle tin can pine cone planters
I found that using a wire cutter was the best way to quickly remove the tips from the pine cones. I started at the larger end and worked my way up, removing the tips. When I got towards the top, the tips were too close together to grab easily, so I stopped there, and went on to the next one.
upcycle tin can pine cone planters
Using a household scissors, I trimmed the pine tips to clean them up. I won't lie, this process was a little time consuming and took a couple hours, but it was easy to do once I got the hang of it.
upcycle tin can pine cone planters
I attached the pine tips to the can using E6000 glue because I wanted a strong bond. I was afraid that hot melt glue wouldn't be strong enough and with handling, the tips would probably pop off. Allow the glue to set according to the recommendations for 72 hours before handing or painting. Work in small sections at a time. It did not take long to glue the pine cone tips to three small cans.
upcycle tin can pine cone planters
I intended to paint these after the pine tips were attached, but they look pretty cool and rustic without painting. If you want to try the more rustic look, I recommend painting the tin can first. To show you how a rustic one would look, I painted one of the cans with a copper spray paint before attaching the cones.
upcycle tin can pine cone planters
After the glue had dried for 72 hours, I spray painted the cans in various colors that I had on hand. It took several coats to get good coverage. Make sure to wait for each coat to fully dry before spraying the next.

I filled each can to about 2 inches below the top of the can with sand, then added a layer of white pebbles that I picked up at the Dollar Store.
upcycle tin can pine cone planters
I also used faux succulents I found at the Dollar Store.
upcycle tin can pine cone planters
They turned out so cute and full of texture! My husband liked the natural one better, and I will be making a few of those soon.

For more information and pictures on this project, stop by my blog!

My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies

• Valerie Burge

Very creative! Love this idea.

• Em

I'm thinking the navy blue one should be painted yellow because it looks like a pineapple. An air fern would be the perfect topping.