Banquet Table Makeover

$65

Give that ugly, old banquet table a new lease on life by adding a new table top.

Begin by measuring your table. My table measured 5' x 30"; however, I purchased 3 pieces of pine that measured 1" x 12" x 6' for the top, so I would have an overhang of 6" on each end and 3" on each side. I also purchased 3 pieces of 1" x 3" x 8" for the edges.

Using a miter saw, cut the 3" edge pieces of the table.

Apply wood glue to the edges of the 12" boards. Making sure the ends of the boards are align, clamp them together and allow glue to dry for two hours.

Using a tape measure, mark where the pilot holes need to be drilled on the 3" edge boards. I marked 4" from each end, then every 10". Using those marks, drill pilot holes and countersink holes for the screws you will be using to attached the 3" edge boards to the 12" top boards.

Attach the 3" edge boards to the 12" top boards using screws, countersinking the screws.

Fill the screw holes with wood filler.

After the wood filler has dried, sand the table using medium grade sandpaper.

Using a damp cloth, wipe the entire table to remove any dust.

Chose your finish - either paint or stain. I used Red Oak stain.

Using a dry cloth, remove any excess stain. Allow the stain to dry at least 1 hour. Finish with a clear coat of sealer. Allow to dry for 24 hours.

Your new table is ready to use!

To permanently affix the new table top to the original banquet table, apply Liquid Nails to the original top and place the new top onto the original. For added support, screw the top in place.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Wendy Pierre

Can I just glue the sides on instead of screw or drill holes and use wooden dowels?

• Stacie Meyers Upchurch

Just glueing the pieces together will not hold up to regular use but if you know enough to ask about dowels then you already knew the answer to your own question.

• Miriam Aufseeser-Weiss

what do you do to the table legs so the 'rusting' of the bottoms does not leave stains on the floor or carpet?

• Roberta

They sell felt in all sizes for chair and table legs. They are self sticking.

• Kathy Chojnacki

How could you hide the ugly table legs?

• Tammy J Cleesen Revels

Some of these folks are forgetting it is a folding table. To be folded and put away until it is needed. Those wooden legs are permanent, unless you can fold them up somehow.

• Theresa

I might. I think it would make a great and inexpensive patio table. Would just need to weather proof. Also it would be easy to store during the winter.

• Virginia

i did this be for thank you