Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

Faux Brick and Plaster Wall

$75

We created an Old World style in this office space by installing a faux brick and plaster wall. You can incorporate this idea in your home as well! Read on to see how we did it!

When we got started, the office was just a boring space with plaster walls. It did have a beautiful wood plank ceiling and craftsman windows going for it, though.
faux brick and plaster wall
We used a metal scraper to chip away pieces of plaster from the wall.
faux brick and plaster wall
If you are going to attempt something like this, be sure to cover all surfaces as there ends up being lots of dust particles. Also, be sure to test for lead paint! Lead paint is toxic and should not be messed with!
faux brick and plaster wall
A quick coat of white paint covered the pattern that was on the wall before.
faux brick and plaster wall
The next step was to adhere faux brick wallpaper in the spaces where the plaster had been chipped off. For a link to the wallpaper we used, visit my blog post.
faux brick and plaster wall
Apply wallpaper according to manufacturer’s directions! Be sure to smooth from the middle out to avoid any bubbled up areas.
faux brick and plaster wall
We used an X-Acto knife to cut the wallpaper around the edges of the plaster.
faux brick and plaster wall
With the brick wallpaper inset like this, it gave the finish a more realistic look!
faux brick and plaster wall
The one roll of brick wallpaper Paula purchased was enough to complete a wall in the bathroom as well as wrap a large pillar in the reception area.
faux brick and plaster wall
This space turned out so charming and the faux brick and plaster wall really made the room!
faux brick and plaster wall
This office space not only got a wall makeover, but we built a reclaimed barn wood reception desk for it as well. Come see photos of that on my blog and more DIY projects for the home! Thanks for reading!

Melissa Woods

• Tex21773744

Was the brick wall paper hard to find?
  • Laurie

Was the original wall plaster or did you add it to the wall and chip it away? I ask because it's listed in the materials list.
  • Teresa Mitchell

is the split toilet seat something new for private homes?
    • Zin14990756

I believe it's a business not a home.
    • Sarah E Carroll

Considering the split area is usually the part that gets dirtiest, even for home they make sense. My considerate husband cleaned the toilets in our home and in later years he sat to urinate as it didn't create splash zones on nearby walls . .and since it was his job he reduced his labor.
    • Susan

they've been around since the beginning - you can buy them WITH your toilet or add on later
    • Nancy landers

If you enlarge the photo you will see it is a reflexion
    • Michelle Dodson

She mentions that this is an office space, not a home office.

• Liz Kane

Why do we need to be snarky? Beautiful job on this office space.
  • Mar3005541

Can i cover ceramic tiles
  • Margaret Ann Murphy

is this wall paper finish flat (more realistic) or shiny or somewhere in between ??
  • Tricia Lincoln

As most modern homes have sheetrock walls, is there a way to get this look shy of adding plaster over the sheetrock?
  • Infoseekrs

I definitely like this - would look great in our family room! I wonder if it would work to put the brick wallpaper on and then use plain wallpaper, ripped to overlap the brick wallpaper, or some sort of paintable texturing compound spread over the wall, overlapping the brick wallpaper, to create the plaster look (for those of us who don't have existing plaster.) Anyone tried that?
    • Rebecca Surette

I think that the texturing compound would work better. You really do need that depth to get a realistic look. I was JUST thinking that for my own walls, which are drywall.

• Sandy Fink

Where do you purchased the wallpower

• Barbara Cole

Love this!!

• Rebecca Surette

Since I don't have plaster walls, they are drywall, I'm thinking place the wallpaper, then go to town with a good texturing compound!

• Tracy

Rebecca 8m wondering the same I would love to do a fireplace wall I also have sheet rock I'm thinking of a lace textured wall and brick wallpaper this way you could make the lacing thick or more haver texture I've done lacing on walls before never tried blending I'll send a photo once 8m done hopefully it will look better then a simple tile wall or paint good luck