Fun Bird Feeder From Dishware

263K Views
Spring is in the air and the birds are chirping throughout the day. Isn't it nice? I have a tree that I can see through my bay window, and I love watching all of the different types of birds it attracts - Blue Jays, Cardinals, Robins. So, I thought it was time to create my own bird feeder using $2 dishware!
Time: 45 MinutesCost: $6Difficulty: Easy
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 1: Measure & mark the center of your plate.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 2: Drill a hole through the center of your plate.

My dish was made of recycled plastic, but it still managed to chip/crack a little. In order to avoid your dish completely cracking, place your plate on a thick piece of scrap wood and drill on top of it.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 3: Drill a hole into the center of your bowl, using the same method as your plate.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 4: Prepare your hardware. Place a washer on your bolt.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 5: Thread your bowl onto the bolt so it sits on top of the washer.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 6: Apply a small amount of glue onto the bowl where the washer sits. It will add a little bit of strength (less wobble) to the bird feeder.

• fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 7: Thread another washer onto your bolt. Apply a little glue beneath the washer so it sits on top of the bowl securely.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 8: Take a nut and thread it a few inches down onto your bolt.  Your plate will sit directly on top of this nut.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 9: Thread your plate onto the bolt so that it sits on top of the nut.
Step 10: Add a washer to your bolt on top of the plate.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware

Step 11: Screw in a nut to secure the washer into place.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 12: Cut a long piece of cording, fold it in half and tie a knot above the nut around your bolt. Ensure your knot is very secure! Then, screw another nut onto your bolt to keep the knot in place.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
Step 13: Hang in a tree and fill with birdseed.
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
  • fun bird feeder from dishware
The base of your bowl may shift depending on the weight of the bird. But this little one seems to be enjoying it!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Suggested materials for this project: