Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Remove Soap Scum With a Grapefruit and Kosher Salt

$1

Remove that awful soap scum using all natural products which leaves behind a fresh citrus scent!
remove soap scum with a grapefruit and kosher salt
All you need are two simple ingredients: grapefruit and kosher salt. Begin by slicing your grapefruit in half.

Liberally pour the kosher salt onto the cut half of the grapefruit.
Scrub the soap scum, adding more salt as you go along.
Rinse well with water. (If I was not taking pictures, I would have closed the door and rinsed it using the shower head.)
Dry well.

*Please note that grapefruit is toxic to pets. Be sure to dry the area well before letting pets come in contact.
I also cleaned the shower handle. This is before....
And this is after!!!
Squeaking clean and ready for a shower!

• Kara S.

Did this leave your door or handles sticky?
    • Alicia W

No not at all. Just make sure you rinse well.
    • Lin Collins

I'm sure in your house it would definitely leave everything sticky. Everyone except you has the brains to RINSE!
  • Stephanie Ito

Does this work on hard water stains too??
    • Alicia W

I didn't try it on hard water but what do you have to loose? Let me know if it works.
    • Senior Chief

The acid in the grapefruit will help with hard water marks like vinegar does. You'll have to be pretty consistent because your not able to soak. Also this process will shine your copper & brass 👍
    • Ardale

Lemon and salt also work great to clean and shine copper! I imagine if you don't have a grapefruit handy then lemon would probably be a good alternative for cleaning soap scum.
    • Gale Em

At $5 a grapefruit, it's not for me. Nice in the south, but up north, only if you are made of money. I refuse to treat my shower better than me!
    • Gail

I used a lemon to clean the toilet bowl ring that I had tried everything to remove. First cut in half, use a vented squeezer then, drain seeds and pulp. Pour in the juice, let it set for a while. Return to use the brush the stain goes away like magic. If you have very hard water it might take two applications. Safe for septic systems.
    • Kay

Why not just use Bi Card of Soda, or white vinigar, and Lemmon juce. Citrus fruit can some times, depending on the time of year, and weather, be quite expensive. Citrus friut goes off, so it dosen't keep for long. Bi Card of soda and vinigar, can be brought in bulk, are just as effective and more economical to use. They are natural product's to! Bi Card of Soda is good for shinnig mettal, it's not as harsh as some products but still gets rid off grim and greas leaving a sparkling finish. Just.a thought! I use a combination of these products all the time as I find them to be very effective. Kay Adelaide Australia
  • Julie Green

why kosher salt
    • Thaiconey

Good question, exactly why? Does soap scum know the difference as I am guessing the salt is the abrasive in this method?
    • Thaiconey

Should have looked up Kosher salt before I replied :) Kosher salt is generally more coarse than normal salt and takes longer to dissolve so it would help remove the scum as it is more abrasive! Here a bit of education:
      How Kosher Salt Got Its Name
      Any salt can be kosher if it's produced under kosher supervision, but it's not because of Jewish dietary guidelines that kosher salt got its name (which I thought). In fact, something labeled "kosher salt" can actually not be kosher at all! Kosher salt's original purpose was really to kosher meat, meaning to remove the blood from meat, so it's really koshering salt. Certain salt companies labeled the boxes of this coarse salt kosher salt rather than koshering salt, and the name stuck.
    • Julie Green

im in australia so we dont have Kosher salt
    • Nancy Wilson

Any coarse salt will do.....sea salt is coarser than table salt for example.

• Johnrollish70

Can you order through Amazon in Australia? We order my wife's bath salts from the San Fransisco salt company ( it's the cheapest that I have found) from Amazon.
    • SANDRA MOORE

I used to live in Australia. You have salt all over the place and it's free. You can use your own native products and make them yourself. Why give Amazon your money?
    • Ann21380324

any supermarket sells "Course salt"; Salt to melt snow is sold a lot here":
    • Gary R. Greer

Gentile salt will work also, perhaps not so blessedly, yet good a plenty. Also, it is the citric acid which does the cleaning and some may find that half an orange fits their hands better.
    • Barbara

Salt to melt snow and make homemade ice cream is called "Rock salt" and sold in grocery stores
  • Dottie

Can you use this on ceramic tile walls?
  • Linda Rodgers

What about the seeds? Do you pluck them out before applying the salt? I don't want seeds in my drain.
    • Annette Barsby

Take em out if it bothers you of course
    • C Chandler

if you have the shower door open as here for the ''cleaning'' they would fall on the towel or what ever you had in place to catch drips. Then close door and us hand held sprayer to rinse. But, if it seems to be a problem for you, then remove them. The seed in NOT the source of the cleaner!
    • Lin Collins

Gee, let me think about the seed question. Think for just a minute. Worst case scenario is the seeds get washed down the drain.
  • John Filiberti

Can I use this on the shower tiles or just the shower door?
    • Cynthia Nye

Yes, it is a simple acidic cleaner with an abrasive. You could also use lemon mixed with baking soda.
    • Cynthia Nye

• Cynthia Nye

• Cynthia Nye

• Elmer Lynn

How do I remove mill due in the tub
  • Car22532881

Will the kosher salt scratch the shower walls and bottom of the stall?
    • Cynthia Nye

No it kinda melts as it's used sonit washes off clean.
    • Car22532881

Thank you very much for your reply. I've tried lots of cleaners that states on labels to make sure there isn't ammonia in them. Some work pretty good and some don't. Thanks again.
  • Peggy Burnette

Does it have to be kosher salt or can you use table salt?

• Valerie Singleton

Does this work on the bathtub
  • Rosa D'Urso Antonello

Does have to be kosher salt
    • Susan Jeanne

Kosher salt is more gritty than regular table salt which is probably why she recommends it. But table salt will also work. It might require a bit more elbow grease, though.
  • Tammy Brereton

What about the grout how can you get that white again?
    • Jackie

I have so much trouble trying too keep my grout clean can you please help me??? I'm almost 72 and I need some help!!!
    • Sue Lilly

I have used bicarbonate soda,
  • Debra Bergert

I too wonder, can it be used on tile in shower? the apt i moved in to i cannot get it clean enough. i have arthritis and back problems and need a GOOD helper
    • Alicia W

The kosher salt does not scratch. It "melts" into the grapefruit; however, I would try it on a small part of your shower just to put your mind at ease before scrubbing the entire shower.
  • Gma22542774

will it work on fiberglass shower? If not how do u clean thos?
  • Becky Moore Shearon

Will this in tub
  • Michele Coffey

Any chance it will scratch the glass or finish of hardware?
  • Bonnie Nelson

.can. it work on fiberglass shower
    • Alicia W

Yes it should. I would try it in an conspicuous location first to make sure it doesn't scratch.
  • Sue Cleveland

Will it work on ceramic tile?
  • Mil24602463

Why Kosher salt. Surely sea salt would do the same and could lemon or orange replace grapefruit as they are all acidic.
    • Alicia W

All true. You can use any course salt and any citrus fruit.
  • Mem24781322

Won't the salt scratch the door and walls?
  • Mar23954325

What's the difference of kosher salt excuse my ignorance
  • Jill Lipsitz

Can this technique be used on acrylic bath tub
    • Lindy

i;m guessing a no on this--the salt would scratch the acrylic

• DB

Seems to me baking soda & vinegar is cheaper-- Eat the grapefruit -- a shame to waste it on your showerstall

• Diane Bidar Mezzanotte

Can this be used on granite
    • Alicia W

Hi Diane. Yes I would think it could be used on granite; however, I would try in on a small area just to make sure.

• Gar29401485

I have been advised by installer no way anything citrus on granite. Always wipe it up quickly if it spills on it.

• Kathy

You should NOT use something acidic on granite unless you have a desire to replace it.

• DB

NO!! will ruin the finish and seep into the stone

• Cammie

Can you use this method on acrylic bathtub , walls and vanity sink?
  • Connie Christianson

Will it work on hard water stains on the glass door?

• Pam1418628

Why does it have to be Kosher salt?

• Nhill5

Kosher salt is a course salt. Since the grain size is larger it scrubs soap scum and lime build up away much easier. Doesn't deteriorate as fast.

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

I'm not the OP, but I bet it's because the grains of kosher salt are much larger and coarser than regular table salt, so they'd be much more effective for scrubbing.

• Pam1418628

So then sea salt in those big containers that is real coarse might work, too? I haven't noticed Kosher salt in the stores I go to.

• Mary Coakley

Would sea salt.work?cannot get.kosher salt

• Cecilia Hennemann Erdmann

Can you clean the grout around the tile as well??

• CHERYL MULLINS

Will the salt scratch enclosure

• Diane

Can it be used on marble?

• DB

No Salt & Acid is corrosive to Granite and Marble Finish.

• Sherry

Can you do shower tiles with this method?