Reusable Bees Wax Wraps

$2

We all know how bad plastic wrap is for the environment, but there aren't too many options for reusable wraps out there, so we keep using the stuff to wrap our leftovers, sandwiches and picnic items. Now, I have a solution for you using fabric and bees wax! Say "buh-bye" to that tangled plastic wrap.
Step 1: Trace out the shape of your desired food wrap onto a piece of cotton fabric.

I used a plate to trace a circle larger than the bowl I wanted to wrap. I also continued to make squares and large rectangles.
Step 2: Cut out your shape from the fabric.

Step 3: Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.

I used a pizza tray for my circular shape.
Step 4: Place your fabric topside down onto the lined tray. Sprinkle with a small amount of bees wax beads.

*Don't use much at all. Too many beads will result in a large pool of melted bees wax and you'll have to start all over again.
Step 5: Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for less than one minute or until wax has melted.
Step 6: Let your wax cool and harden.
Step 7: Wrap the food item or dish of your choice and use the warmth of your hands to activate the wax to stick to the item. It only takes a few seconds!

For this, I covered the top of a salad bowl.
Need to save half a lemon? Use one of your wraps to save it and keep it in the fridge!
Or, how about wrapping your kids sandwich in one of these clever wraps? When you're ready to use it for something else, simply hand wash them with soap and water!
The next time you head out for a picnic, you'll feel guilt-free! No more worries about all those containers and packages being tossed in the trash.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• ECR

Are these double sided with the material?

• Marie Downie

How long does it stay “reusable” for please?

• Julz

Marie I use mine over and over. Wipe them clean with warm not too hot soapy water. When they start to lose their performance, just put them back into the oven to recoat them. If you need to add a little more beeswax that's ok, sometimes you won't have to. I have been using mine for about a year. I made a bunch in all different sizes. I also gave them as Christmas gifts last year to my eco minded family and friends. I also keep them in my "plastic wrap" drawer all together rolled around an old cardboard tube (like the kind from aluminum foil). I LOVE THEM!!!!! they will last indefinitely.

• Kathie

Which side do you put towards the food? I assume The wax side but just checking ?

• Linda S.

Are they washable?

• Debbie

Yes, they are washable. Use warm, never hot, water. If necessary, a drop of dish wash can be used, but I rarely, if ever, use that. However, hot water will ruin them. I found that out the hard way.

• Barbara Kellar

Thank you , I am doing this for stocking gifts