Julien K., Hometalk Team
Julien K., Hometalk Team
  • Fairfield, CT

Reusable Bees Wax Wraps

$2

We all know how bad plastic wrap is for the environment, but there aren't too many options for reusable wraps out there, so we keep using the stuff to wrap our leftovers, sandwiches and picnic items. Now, I have a solution for you using fabric and bees wax! Say "buh-bye" to that tangled plastic wrap.
reusable bees wax wraps
Step 1: Trace out the shape of your desired food wrap onto a piece of cotton fabric.

I used a plate to trace a circle larger than the bowl I wanted to wrap. I also continued to make squares and large rectangles.
reusable bees wax wraps
Step 2: Cut out your shape from the fabric.

reusable bees wax wraps
reusable bees wax wraps
Step 3: Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.

I used a pizza tray for my circular shape.
reusable bees wax wraps
Step 4: Place your fabric topside down onto the lined tray. Sprinkle with a small amount of bees wax beads.

*Don't use much at all. Too many beads will result in a large pool of melted bees wax and you'll have to start all over again.
reusable bees wax wraps
Step 5: Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for less than one minute or until wax has melted.
reusable bees wax wraps
Step 6: Let your wax cool and harden.
reusable bees wax wraps
Step 7: Wrap the food item or dish of your choice and use the warmth of your hands to activate the wax to stick to the item. It only takes a few seconds!

For this, I covered the top of a salad bowl.
reusable bees wax wraps
Need to save half a lemon? Use one of your wraps to save it and keep it in the fridge!
reusable bees wax wraps
Or, how about wrapping your kids sandwich in one of these clever wraps? When you're ready to use it for something else, simply hand wash them with soap and water!
reusable bees wax wraps
The next time you head out for a picnic, you'll feel guilt-free! No more worries about all those containers and packages being tossed in the trash.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Jocelynn

How many times can wash them before you have to apply beeswax again

• G.bolye

Can you recycle candles

• Kay

Do these keep the food fresh or just provide a cover?

• Rhonda Aurelio

Wanted to help save help environment- as soon as u stated "warmth of hands" 😞 i cant be thr only one with poor circulation in their hands.. Putting this out there incase someone struggles with shaping it.

• Katie

This is such a great way to add color and pattern to your pick nick at the beach. I’ve always used ziplocks and reusable containers.