Mother Daughter Projects
Mother Daughter Projects
  • Tallahassee, FL

Outdoor Privacy Bench

$200

We just finished this build where we started with a basic Ana White bench plan and modified it for our needs. I (Steph) have been wanting to build a privacy screen for some time to cover the patch of my yard that I can see into my neighbors backyard. We finally made it happen and even better we made it into a bench so it has multiple functions!
Watch the video! To see how to make the concrete seats watch this.
outdoor privacy bench
Gather materials. We found light weight plastic lattice at Home Depot.
outdoor privacy bench
Measure and cut all your boards for the base, drill pocket holes, assemble with Kreg outdoor screws.
outdoor privacy bench
Measure and cut all pieces for the back. There are two 6' side pieces and three horizontal pieces. Cut groves into the sides and horizontal pieces in which the lattice will fit. We used the circular saw along with the Kreg rip-cut jig.
outdoor privacy bench
Measure and cut lattice for the back and fit into place. We used tin snips to cut the plastic lattice. After the second piece of lattice is in place screw on the remaining back piece. We predrilled pocket holes prior to putting everything together.
outdoor privacy bench
Attach the seat. We used outdoor screws and brackets to secure the seat and legs.
outdoor privacy bench
To help seal the bench legs we used painted on Flex Seal. Note: We also cast three concrete pieces to use as bench seats. That's an entire video/tutorial itself that you can find on our website.
outdoor privacy bench
Add the concrete pieces and it's all ready for seating and to block the view of the neighbor's back yard. Find more detail on our site and in the video above!
Mother Daughter Projects

• Maureen

Great bench & great idea.

It looks awesome..love the idea of using concrete for the seats .

• Charlotte

I would love to do the project but don't have all the tools