Heirloom Traditions Chalk Paint Bathroom Vanity Makeover

42K Views
Builder Grade Honey Oak Cabinets Transformed!

Time: 3 HoursCost: $75Difficulty: Easy
  • heirloom traditions chalk paint bathroom vanity makeover
The great thing about chalk paint, is the minimum prep work it requires! I wiped the vanity down with mineral spirits, and removed the hardware.
Next, I laid out the drawers and started painting! Chalk paint dries quickly, so it's important to remember to keep an eye on any drips.
Personally, I have the best results when I do several thick coats vs. slapping a thick coat on and hoping it dries evenly.
I did a total of 4 coats, with 30 minutes in between each coat. Keep in mind, a little bit of chalk paint goes a long way!
Once I was satisfied, I went to work distressing the edges. This step is not necessary, but I love the distressed "old" look, and decided I wanted to try something different. I used a random piece of sandpaper I had laying around to define the edges. Once finished, I smoothed everything out with a finishing block sander than I picked up from Home Depot.
The next step was rather tricky. Using a dark wax on white paint can prove to be rather tricky. The best suggestion I have for any DIY newbies wanting to achieve this look is add a little bit at a time and build on to it! I layered the dark wax with the Barnwood liquid wax to get the dimension and character I was after.
I finished up by applying a clear wax to the entire vanity.

Next project will be applying a cement overlay to the countertop, and I cannot wait!

Suggested materials for this project:

• Heirloom Traditions Chalk Paint in French Vanilla  (heirloomtraditionspaint.com)
  • Heirloom Traditions Liquid Wax in Barnwood  (heirloomtraditionspaint.com)
  • Mineral Spirits  (Lowes)

Ask a Question