Tara
Tara
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canal Winchester, OH

Heirloom Traditions Chalk Paint Bathroom Vanity Makeover

$75

Builder Grade Honey Oak Cabinets Transformed!

heirloom traditions chalk paint bathroom vanity makeover
The great thing about chalk paint, is the minimum prep work it requires! I wiped the vanity down with mineral spirits, and removed the hardware.
Next, I laid out the drawers and started painting! Chalk paint dries quickly, so it's important to remember to keep an eye on any drips.
Personally, I have the best results when I do several thick coats vs. slapping a thick coat on and hoping it dries evenly.
I did a total of 4 coats, with 30 minutes in between each coat. Keep in mind, a little bit of chalk paint goes a long way!
Once I was satisfied, I went to work distressing the edges. This step is not necessary, but I love the distressed "old" look, and decided I wanted to try something different. I used a random piece of sandpaper I had laying around to define the edges. Once finished, I smoothed everything out with a finishing block sander than I picked up from Home Depot.
The next step was rather tricky. Using a dark wax on white paint can prove to be rather tricky. The best suggestion I have for any DIY newbies wanting to achieve this look is add a little bit at a time and build on to it! I layered the dark wax with the Barnwood liquid wax to get the dimension and character I was after.
I finished up by applying a clear wax to the entire vanity.

Next project will be applying a cement overlay to the countertop, and I cannot wait!

• Heirloom Traditions Chalk Paint in French Vanilla  (heirloomtraditionspaint.com)
  • Heirloom Traditions Liquid Wax in Barnwood  (heirloomtraditionspaint.com)
  • Mineral Spirits  (Lowes)

• N. G. Londonderry

Did you mean you prefer painting on several THIN coats?

• 9530106

Was just going to ask the same question!

• Tara

Yes-- thin coats. Didn't even realize I had made that mistake! Thanks for pointing it out , I'll make sure to correct it :)

• Karen W Loerch

Looks great. Can't wait to see the sink and counter when you do that.

• Peggy

What is liquid wax? Is it to seal the wood like a varnish does?

• Diane Bishop

Its just a different form if wax. Chalk paint requires a top ciat. I have read that if you are painting an item with chalk oaimt and tgus item gets a lot of use its suggested to use a watet based top coat. Hope that helped.

• Margaret

What is chalk paint?

• CJ

Chalk paint is sold ready to use or can be made at home with paint, water and plaster of paris. Many recipes can be found on Home Talk and around the internet. Some use baking soda instead of plaster of Paris. I've never used it myself but sure enjoy seeing the lovely things other people have been creating with it. Apparently it isn't a durable finish so they always add a protective wax as she describes in her post.

• Wendy G Butler

Chalk Paint is a type of paint (actually, it's a trademarked brand of paint by Annie Sloan, but other companies have similar paints also) that can be used on furniture and other items to create a chalky appearance. It's used for creating an aged appearance, and can be distressed easily.

• Theresawk

you did great on the cabinets but then you mentioned a cement overlay on countertop. how did that come out as I was looking to do something with mine. thanks

• Shirley Sharp

That is exactly what I want to do to my kitchen cabinets but they have been painted before. Will this work on painted cabinets or do I have to sand off the old paint? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Nice job!!

• Fat22141614

I basically did the same thing to our kitchen cabinets in our
    1994 winter park model . I love how it turned out and I love chalk paint

• Shirley Sharp