Tara
Tara
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canal Winchester, OH

Heirloom Traditions Chalk Paint Bathroom Vanity Makeover

$75

Builder Grade Honey Oak Cabinets Transformed!

heirloom traditions chalk paint bathroom vanity makeover
The great thing about chalk paint, is the minimum prep work it requires! I wiped the vanity down with mineral spirits, and removed the hardware.
Next, I laid out the drawers and started painting! Chalk paint dries quickly, so it's important to remember to keep an eye on any drips.
Personally, I have the best results when I do several thick coats vs. slapping a thick coat on and hoping it dries evenly.
I did a total of 4 coats, with 30 minutes in between each coat. Keep in mind, a little bit of chalk paint goes a long way!
Once I was satisfied, I went to work distressing the edges. This step is not necessary, but I love the distressed "old" look, and decided I wanted to try something different. I used a random piece of sandpaper I had laying around to define the edges. Once finished, I smoothed everything out with a finishing block sander than I picked up from Home Depot.
The next step was rather tricky. Using a dark wax on white paint can prove to be rather tricky. The best suggestion I have for any DIY newbies wanting to achieve this look is add a little bit at a time and build on to it! I layered the dark wax with the Barnwood liquid wax to get the dimension and character I was after.
I finished up by applying a clear wax to the entire vanity.

Next project will be applying a cement overlay to the countertop, and I cannot wait!

• Heirloom Traditions Chalk Paint in French Vanilla  (heirloomtraditionspaint.com)
  • Heirloom Traditions Liquid Wax in Barnwood  (heirloomtraditionspaint.com)
  • Mineral Spirits  (Lowes)

3 questions on this project
  • Shirley Sharp
    Mar 07, 2018

That is exactly what I want to do to my kitchen cabinets but they have been painted before. Will this work on painted cabinets or do I have to sand off the old paint? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Nice job!!

• Theresawk
    May 13, 2017

you did great on the cabinets but then you mentioned a cement overlay on countertop. how did that come out as I was looking to do something with mine. thanks

• Margaret
    Apr 28, 2017

What is chalk paint?

• Wendy G Butler
      May 01, 2017

Chalk Paint is a type of paint (actually, it's a trademarked brand of paint by Annie Sloan, but other companies have similar paints also) that can be used on furniture and other items to create a chalky appearance. It's used for creating an aged appearance, and can be distressed easily.

• Fat22141614
    May 14, 2017

I basically did the same thing to our kitchen cabinets in our
    1994 winter park model . I love how it turned out and I love chalk paint

• Shirley Sharp
    Mar 07, 2018