Build the Perfect Workbench

My "old door on sawhorses" setup in the workshop wasn't working for me anymore. The flat solid core door was great for assembling and clamping projects, and the width was perfect for our converted one car garage, but I needed more storage and a mobile base.
I wanted to keep the workbench free-floating in the middle of the shop so I can work on a project from all sides. It also needed to be on wheels so I could move it over to the table saw to serve as an outfeed table.

I decided to go with the Kreg workbench (affiliate link) for quick assembly and a solid steel framework. I could still use the door as the top, and add a shelf below for storage!
The feet are a separate piece from the legs, which allows you to adjust the height. My table saw is about 35 1/4" high, and an outfeed table should be slightly lower. With the casters attached, it's the perfect height!
I took about 8 inches off the end of the door so it would fit better on the frame.
Then I placed the workbench frame upside down on top of the door and screwed it in place with the screws that were included with the kit.
To see more about this workbench, including how I added a white panel to the door's surface and a shelf below, please visit my blog at The Handyman's Daughter by clicking the link below.

Vineta @ The Handyman's Daughter

1 comment
  • Barbara

I needed a portable work bench as I do not have a garage. I had replaced the plain hollow core bi-fold doors on my walk-in closet with louvered doors and didn't know what to do with the old ones. Then it hit me. I could use my saw horses, open one of the doors and lay it across the saw horses. It works perfect and gives me lots of room for work space. I use that one outside when I have sanding, sawing or painting to do. When I'm done, I just fold up the door and the saw horses and put the three pieces in the shed. I use the other door in my basement with saw horses and just leave it set up for smaller projects.