Starbucks City Mugs Display

$15

Over the years, I've amassed quite the collection of Starbucks mugs from cities we've visited, and they take up a lot of room in the cabinet over the coffee maker. I decided to utilize the blank side panel of an upper cabinet to create a travel themed coffee mug display!
starbucks city mugs display
By the way, if you want to learn how to paint those ugly 80s cabinets, check out my tutorial here! You can find the final reveal with amazing before and afters here. You'll never guess what I used to update those ugly blue countertops!

I wanted to use a simple design that would fit with the travel theme of the mugs. I settled on this compass rose decal (head over to The Handyman's Daughter to find the source) that fits perfectly on the narrow cabinet.
starbucks city mugs display
Eight mugs fit perfectly on the side of the cabinet without looking cluttered. I paired them up by style (Starbucks has changed up their mugs every few years, making it impossible to collect more than a few of each!) I attached coated metal hooks above and below the decal.
starbucks city mugs display
I wanted to put the cities near their geographical equivalent on the compass, but I didn't have enough for the Southern hemisphere. Sydney is the only one I had for the southern point. Obviously we need to travel more!
starbucks city mugs display
To prevent the mugs from moving around and bumping into each other, I use a little bit of double sided Gorilla Glue tape to hold them in place. Now they hang perfectly straight on their hooks!
starbucks city mugs display
I'm glad I finally have some of my favorite mugs on display instead of cooped up inside a cabinet. There are plenty more mugs that I use for coffee drinking, so these will stay up permanently. They bring a nice pop of color to the plain white backdrop!
starbucks city mugs display
For more information about this project, click on the link below or visit The Handyman's Daughter and search for "Starbucks" at the top!

• Hooks  (Amazon)
  • Decal  (Etsy)
Vineta @ The Handyman's Daughter

• Maria

Hi. Can you tell me where you found the decal and what's the size you used? I absolutely Love your idea....Unique 😍😍👍🏼👍🏼👌🏼👌🏼
  • Jill Ron Pike

I see your cabinets can be easily repaired if the cups are ever taken down, but I have wood grain cabinets, which I love. Any suggestions??
    • Jill Ron Pike

that's a good idea too. Only problem is there's crown molding at the top of my cabinets that angles outward....sigh
  • Marsha king

Where do you put the glue?

• Jenyll Allende

If you allow the cups to tilt on their handle, then you can grow fresh herbs in the cups.

• Gruber

This is great i like people who are creative. From nothing they create such i wonderfull idea. Thanks for sharing. :)