Rustic Cabinet

Give an old dresser and new purpose!
First I pulled out all of the drawers and sanded the body down.
i then painted it using a dry brush technique - you dip you brush into the paint, wipe bristles clean with inside lip
of the paint can, and brush it onto the piece so that it doesn't completely coat the wood. It leaves some of the wood exposed.
then I took a rag and lightly dipped into the stain, and sporadically wiped it onto the paint job following with a soft rag to wipe it back off and leave just a glazed look to the paint job. Then I went back over that with the campire ash paint to tone any of the stain marks down.
i measured my opening length wise and width to cut my 1x3 boards to size for the doors. I then screwed those pieces together and sanded the wood. I added the hinges and hung them to check out if they work well.
Then I stained them. And once dry I poly coated them. After that I added the chicken wire by using a staple gun to attach.
(I didn't get a photo with the chicken wire and the shelves on during this next phase! Oops..)
then I added the shelves, and magnet closures for the doors.
finished!

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/bizzybeezfurniture

• Margaret Adamson

Great job! Where did you find the dresser?

• Ayesha

Great! Loved it.

My question is my old furniture has varnish of wooden brown stain( bombay furniture), I am not able to stain it with another colour. What do I do?? Thanks.

• Robyn Garner

I'd slather the piece with citri-strip, cover and get all the old gunk off the next morning. I wouldn't work over that old finish and from your description, sanding would be a nightmare.

• Crystal Porter

What did you do with the drawers?

• Jacquelyn

They didn’t mention removing the drawer hardware or the guides for the drawers. Interesting.

• Kyralee

Genius! Hey some of the cool vintage drawer pulls would have made great handles for the doors! Those pulls are amazing!

• Alison

Found two old dressers and so excited to try this idea on one of them. Intend on making a cabinet to store my teas and herbs. Thank you for sharing this ❤️