Asked on Jan 7, 2014

Old sewing machine

Jeanette SKaren HodgeDebbi W
+4

we have a very old sewing machine...you know, those that has the pedal and a large wheel at the bottom. It has been sitting outside for years and bad condition. What can i do to salvage it and make something new of it. I don't have much money to put into it.
  • Moxie
    Moxie

I have seen some cool posts here on Hometalk where they used sewing machine table legs (that are often decorative metal) as table legs and they were pretty cool.

• Jasmin
    Jasmin

Like this :) But there are SO MANY variations out there - google search images using keywords like Repurposed sewing machine https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/169999344/repurposed-sewing-machine-and-barnboard?

• Nancy Merrell
    Nancy Merrell

If in good enough shape you could paint and use as an accent table.

• Andrea smith
    Andrea smith

take out the sewing machine, Put glass over the top with a pretty doiley. I made a sink out of one that I am very proud of. Just not easy to dust.

• Debbi W
    Debbi W

I have 2, they are very strong and can be used as a table base. I have one with a solid wood round top for dinning and one with a glass top as a side table. Wash it with pressure washer to remove any loose rust, then spray paint with a good primer, then any color, you will love how it looks I'm sure. Good luck just have fun with it.

• Karen Hodge
    Karen Hodge

use it as a table.

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

You may want to take the wooden part off so you can properly wash down, dry and redo the base. Clean and brush down with a wire brush. Use rust inhibitor and then paint with Rustoleum primer...we painted mine glossy red! I then put a scrap of granite on top and use it as a table on my porch. That Rustoleum paint comes in several metal colors...we have a copper bench on the porch. As for the wood part....? What you do depends on the condition and how much money/time you want to invest in it. I was given only a base.