How to Organize Christmas {once and for All!}

Driving around the neighborhood, I notice that a lot of homes still have not put away their Christmas decorations. Could it be they are waiting for the perfect solution for organizing the never-ending piles of lights and decor?
While I'm not an expert on how to organize your house, I've learned a few tricks through hands-on experience. I've rounded up a few of my favorite Christmas storage supplies along with some brilliant organizing ideas I've found. From store bought containers to Christmas storage boxes you can make for free (yay for cheap storage!), you'll find something perfect to hold each wreath, ornament, garland and light until next year's magic comes around once more.
I've used several types of storage boxes for ornaments, and from my experience the ones with hard sides work best- as opposed to a few on the market with soft sides, because they don't protect as well and can be fussy to use.
With all that Christmas spending there's often not a lot of money left over for storing everything. You can repurpose a bin you already have as ornament storage by gluing plastic cups to cardboard (source unknown).
Save the boxes from egg cartons and cases of beer or wine, and reuse them to store decorations. The dividers are well suited for protecting special items that could use the separation and padding. (www.apartmenttherapy.com)
Each of my kids has their own little tree, and this year I'll be replacing our old soft-sided ornament box with this great idea from Tip Junkie (www.tipjunkie.com): storing each child's decorations inside their own labeled bin.
I found this ceramic umbrella stand (or massive vase, I can't tell) at a thrift store for just $7.99.It's been holding my prettiest wrapping paper ever since. Keep your eyes open for umbrella stands, tall planters, large vessels, etc.
This is one of those specialized items my husband teased me about buying, but I really couldn't think of another way to store them. Turns out I love this wreath holder and it actually holds several of my wreaths at once.
Here's a bonus idea for storing extension cords using something I almost guarantee you have on hand: a toilet paper roll. Free and smart!
Last piece of advice, and this is hard for me to follow but so very important: if you don't need or want something, and it doesn't bring you joy when you unpack it, don't bother to store it. Donate it instead!

Carrie MakingLemonade

1 comment