Detroit Condo Library Repaint

Upon meeting the customer, seeing this room, the shape it was in, and the feel of the gritty trim work, we had suggested a complete sand-down and repaint in a durable, glossy oil paint. We went with a polished mahogany color, and the customer loves it.
Before.  All walls and doors needed to be sanded prior to painting
Before. All walls and doors needed to be sanded prior to painting
During - prepping doors for paint.
During - prepping doors for paint.
After
After
After
After

• Howie's Painting, LLC

Thank you, Mary! I've got two inputs for you. 1) If the cabinets are made of poplar, that could be part of the problem. Poplar is paint-grade wood, so it does not accept stain as well as paint. It does however take latex and oil-based paints well. 2) The surface could be too light in color to begin with. To achieve the best results, I found using a primer tinted a dark gray works the best. Luckily for this particular project the surfaces were already painted the color we were applying. It just was not properly prepped and painted before we came in. If the cabinets are already stained, I would recommend sanding everything down with a medium grit sandpaper to dull the stained surfaces, vacuum and wipe all dust down, then paint it with the SW All Surface Enamel with the Penetrol additive, as I had mentioned before. Best of luck!

• Mary Insana

The cabinets accepted the stain very nicely I think the problem is I used a gloss poly stain and they are just too shiny. I may experiment on a stained scrap by sanding the shine down and then use a clear satin or matte poly.