Two Crates and a $50 Budget...

I was recently asked to participate in a Great Crate Challenge with other local influencers for the Calgary Renovation Show... we would be given two wooden crates and a $50 to create something fun that would be given away to some lucky Renovation Show attendees!

Being uber practical I wanted to make something that not only looked good but that was also incredibly functional!
Materials
Materials
Materials:
Two wooden crates
Upholstery foam + quilt batting
4 Casters + screws
Burlap + bed sheet
FAT Paint
Wood Plank
Wood Glue

Tools
Rular
Table saw (you could also just a jig saw!)
Cutting mat
Xact-o knife
Sewing machine + hand sewing needles & threads
Staple gun
Nail gun & compressor (you could also just use a hammer and nails)
Paint brush
Planks and foam prep
Planks and foam prep
I attached the two crates together along a long side with glue and clamped until the glue had dried... I also cut a wood plank the same size as the bottom of the two crates combined and attached that to the bottom with wood glue and nails... this would create stability and give me a good place to anchor the casters!

I cut two pieces of my sheet foam the same size as the top plank that I had cut... to be layered on the top plank... then covered in batting...

Can you see where this is going?! I built a rolling storage ottoman... that is strong enough for an adult to use as additional seating!...
Fabric pieces ready for sewing
Fabric pieces ready for sewing
Whenever I sew with burlap I always back the the burlap with another fabric for stability... a perfect use for old bed sheets!...

Once the foam was placed onto the top plank it was secured into place with quilt batting that I wrapped down the sided and stapled to the bottom. Then with my pattern pieces cut to upholster the cushion top that I built I got to sewing... some machine... some by hand... checkout the blog for all the nitty gritty details there!

Once the cushion was done I got to work paint washing the crate with my FAT paint to create a weathered look!... I shared how to make wood look weathered in another post here on Hometalk!... be sure to check it out!
Oliver tested and approved!
Oliver tested and approved!
Crate ottoman created and Oliver approved!...
Tada!
Tada!
Here is the finished rolling storage ottoman! What do you think!? I think I'm going to have to make another so that I have one for my nest! :)

Feathering My Nest - Lacey Haskell

• Scl24073380

How does the storage work? Is the top hinged or does it just rest on the crates? If so did you put guides on the lid so it wouldn’t slide off?

• Dl.5660408

Love it! Have you ever used fusible batting with your burlap?

• Scl24073380

How does the storage aspect work? Is the top hinged?

• Patty

you know what I have a similar idea for that slightly potty chair elders hate to have in their bedroom cover it pretty not really asking just an idea for you

• Guiselly Haywood-Ignacio

I love the idea. Inspiring.