Thrift Diving
Thrift Diving
  • Silver Spring, MD

How to Build, Paint, and Install a Custom DIY Mailbox

Imagine you saw this weather-beaten, decaying mailbox post, leaning over in one last honorable attempt to collect your mail?

If you’re like most people, you’d run to Home Depot, buy yourself one of those handy mailbox kits, and self-install it in one afternoon.

That’s what normal people do.

Not me.

I decided to DIY my own mailbox.
how to build paint and install a custom diy mailbox
MATERIALS NEEDED TO BUILD A DIY MAILBOX AND POST

• Your old mailbox
  • 4″ x 4″ pressure treated wooden post (about 6 feet long)
  • Circular Saw 
  • Post digger
  • Bag of concrete mix
  • Post Level (to make sure your mailbox post isn’t crooked)
  • 1″ thick piece of wood (this is what the mailbox will be mounted to)
  • Ruler or measuring tape
  • Chisel

Your mailbox may be dead, but you’re going to bring it back to life with paint. I call it CPR: crappy post revival  Remove these screws that’s holding the old mailbox to the wooden platform it sits on.
PAINT LIFE BACK INTO YOUR OLD MAILBOX

Everything is fair game when it comes to getting a coat of paint. Everything. That includes the mailbox. I used Annie Sloan Country Grey and Napoleonic Blue chalk paint. This paint can actually be used outdoors, too, which is amazing! (You just want to be sure not to wax any piece you’re leaving outside or the sun could bake that wax right now).

One thing I forgot to take a pic of was the pretty little blue flowers I painted on the outside! I got the idea for the flowers because that’s how I painted this patio table I found next to the dumpster, and people loved the free-handed flowers.

So why not replicate it??

Be sure to use two coats for even coverage.

ALTERNATE IDEA: You can also spray paint your old mailbox and use a clear spray sealer on it.
CONSTRUCT YOUR POST BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT

Seriously, any idiot knows this. BUT…..this idiot (me) made the mistake of not planning properly. I didn’t know how to build a mailbox post, and I followed the wrong instructions on a YouTube video. I mistakenly installed a 4″x4″ pressure treated post like this instead of building out the whole post first. If I was installing one of those kits from Home Depot, this would have been correct. But I didn’t realize this at the time….

(SO, make sure you construct your post first).

MAKE IT PRETTY!

Keep the area trimmed and neat. Add some decorative bricks. For safety reasons, I’m not showing my house number, but get some of those awesome metal numbers and nail on the post.

I like to use my RYOBI trimmer to tackle the mess of weeds that grow around it.
To know more about this project, please check out my blog post. You can see the step by step instruction and some tips and tricks on how I built this cute mailbox.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS

Although this isn’t the perfect mailbox post, these instructions will have you on your way to building your own DIY mailbox post without spending a lot of money to do it. Have fun with this! And be proud that you totally rocked it out :). Feel free to email me any questions you have about the project! 

Have you ever built a custom mailbox for your home? Any tips or advice for any of us that are still novices at this type of thing? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts! 

• Old mailbox
Thrift Diving

• Dss14589699

Not a question, just sharing. We moved into a home without a mailbox (used the p.o. box) and we made a plan, got our supplies, installed a great post and box, stenciled, planted, stood back and admired our work as the mailman pulled up in his delivery car and said "wow, great job, but it is required to be 42 inches high." So if you are installing a new post I would stop in the p.o. or ask your carrier if there are requirements!!

• JoLeen Bolton

When my post rotted out, I bought a half whiskey barrel and cemented the new post into it. The barrel was about half full of cement so I was then able to add soil and plant flowers. The old box was beyond repair so a new one was then added to the new post. I got the height requirement from the post office. I loved how the bright flowers perked up that corner. I like how you finished up the ground around the post, it looks great!

• Newmonsdixie

Where can I buy a big mailbox cause my husband gets big boxes for work