Creative Moments
Creative Moments
  • Canada

Fusion Roll Top Desk

$50
Advanced

My daughter chose this replica antique roll top desk for her birthday present. It was an ugly orangy stain color, so boring and blah, she chose a warm white with her very favorite color inside to pop!
fusion roll top desk
here is before and after all in one shot
fusion roll top desk
fusion roll top desk
The warm white is Fusion Mineral paints champlain and the inside is their soft green called Laurentian

the whole pieces was sand paper distressed to add character and keep aged looking
fusion roll top desk
and to add even more dimension and depth I used homestead house's, Fusion's parent company, dark wax in espresso
fusion roll top desk
shown here is the great paint coverage as the champlain goes on, it took 2 coats and the coverage was smooth and silky as it is self leveling
fusion roll top desk
here is the insides completely un assembled ready for the soft green paint to go on. it made it far easier to take everything apart, all hardware off to give a perfectly hassle free application
fusion roll top desk
then it was all put back together once two coats were dry and distressed as well, hardware put back on and good to go, another neat thing is the whole assembled piece can go in this way or upside down for a different layout, just flip the drawers and walaa

• Fusion mineral paint
  • Homestead house wax
Creative Moments

• Mary Allor

I have the same desk but have been told that if you paint the roll top it would not be easy to open ? Do you have any problems with the roll top?
    • Creative Moments

it opens and closes wonderfully, the secret was to take completely apart as per the blog, and roll the as I painted it and left it in a circle so the edges did not fuse
  • FlCEZ

I've never done any furniture painting; I've just started to become interested in it after seeing projects such as yours.
    How many containers (amount) of paint was needed to paint your desk?
    • Creative Moments

hardly any, fusion comes in pints and for the white I may have used 1/4 of a jar and green even less
  • Don12003712

How did you take the top off