Roller Blind Upcycle Using Mod Podge Photo Transfer Technique

$5

Do you have any old roller blinds lying about? Well, this is the perfect DIY project to recycle them and turn them into some beautiful hanging wall art for your home.
roller blind upcycle using mod podge photo transfer technique
This was my first time using mod podge and I was really pleased with how it turned out on my first attempt.

I think most people have, at some point, old roller blinds (shades) lying about in their home and even if you don't you can pick them up really easily for next to nothing in thrift stores and at garage sales.
First you need to gather your materials to make the project:
  • An old roller blind (shade)
  • Image or photo printed out on photo paper
  • Mod podge
  • Thin piece of wooden trim
  • Scissors
  • Small hacksaw
  • Bowl of water
  • Dishcloth
  • Tape Measure
  • Gold coloured triangular hanging hook
  • Small pin hammer
Start by measuring and cutting the blind to your desired size.
Trim your photo or image down and apply mod podge to both the blind and the photo.
Place the image face down well and apply firm pressure to ensure that it is firmly stuck down. Allow to dry completely.
Once image is completely dry you can dip the end of your cloth in the bowl of water and begin gently rubbing away the backing paper, layer by layer.

Do not allow the image to get too wet and allow it to dry in between each layer.

When you start to see the image appear take extra care to avoid rubbing the actual image away.

Keep going until you can see the image clearly and you are happy with the results.
Cut 4 pieces of the wooden trim approximately 2cm wider than the piece of roller blind.

This bit is optional: paint the front of the pieces of wood.

Now use the mod podge to glue two pieces to the top and two pieces to the bottom of your roller blind.

Use hammer and use small pins to attach the triangle hanging hook to the back of the piece of wood.
I went on to make a second one using the same technique but this time using my own photographs.

I love the effect of using the 3 close up floral images, as I think it gives it a bit of a modern twist.

If you would like to see a more in depth tutorial and get access to my floral photography images so that you can print them out at home just click here:

Sam Franklin

• Zan12432746

what type of printer did you use laser or inkjet?

• Patti Mixdorf

if you go to the link above she states that laser would be better, but she used her inkjet

• CJ Mac

Super cute‼️

• Tira

Easy enuff not to scare me. LOL Now I'll have to find some shades to destroy! I have tons of cards, esp from Christmas, so now I know what to do w/ them! TY!