How I Found Myself in the Rebar Aisle of the Home Improvement Store.

$45

Do you use herbs in your cooking? This DIY herb garden might be just the thing to add to your summer patio. I love the fragrances and find myself picking a leaf or two, or just rubbing my fingers on some of my lovely herbs when passing by. I like using terra cotta on my patio and chose to build a vertical garden with them for my herbs.
So, here I was in the rebar aisle at Lowes, but behold, I found something better than a piece of rebar to begin my project!  
This is the important thing I found and I wanted to make sure you knew what it is, so I took this picture of the label.  This is a 36″ steel stake that has holes in it.  I couldn’t find anything similar at Home Depot. 
I gathered some terra cotta pots.   I used one 14″ x 12″, one 10″ x 9″ three 6″ x 5 1/2″ and one 41/2″ x 41/2″.  I began with my 9″ (tall) by 10″ (across) pot using duct tape on both sides of the drainage hole of the pot to seal it before mixing the concrete. I mixed fast setting concrete mix with water right in the pot and set my pole into the concrete.
After checking with a level to make sure the pole was straight I propped it with boards for about 15 minutes until the concrete was set enough to remove the boards. I let my concrete set up overnight, but an hour will be more than enough time.
I then set my pot with the concrete and post down inside my largest pot.
I filled in all around the smaller pot and on top of the concrete with potting soil
I began planting my herbs all around the post.
Remember those holes in the steel pole. This is when they come in handy. I simply pushed a nail with a small head part way through the hole.
I slipped the first of my smaller pots over the post and down to where it would rest on the nail.
Time to plant the smaller pots and add two more to the pole!
Here is my completed herb garden, ready to flourish in the Florida sunshine! A perfect patio herb garden to enjoy harvesting from!

Chloe Crabtree

• Judy G

The pole is 3 ft long but what is the diameter? Curious what size pole fits so well through the drainage hole of all the different size pots.

Love the idea whether you plant herbs or flowers.

• Chloe Crabtree

I don't know the diameter, but it fits in the hole easily. Take a flower pot with you when shop for the pole to make sure that the pole fits through it.

• Amy

How did you get your pots to tilt like that

• Dixie

You put the nail through one of the holes so it has to be tilted.

• Terri

how do you water the plants

• Chloe Crabtree

I just water each one a little, the water doesn't overflow each pot down into the next one.