How I Found Myself in the Rebar Aisle of the Home Improvement Store.

$45

Do you use herbs in your cooking? This DIY herb garden might be just the thing to add to your summer patio. I love the fragrances and find myself picking a leaf or two, or just rubbing my fingers on some of my lovely herbs when passing by. I like using terra cotta on my patio and chose to build a vertical garden with them for my herbs.
how i found myself in the rebar aisle of the home improvement store
So, here I was in the rebar aisle at Lowes, but behold, I found something better than a piece of rebar to begin my project!  
This is the important thing I found and I wanted to make sure you knew what it is, so I took this picture of the label.  This is a 36″ steel stake that has holes in it.  I couldn’t find anything similar at Home Depot. 
I gathered some terra cotta pots.   I used one 14″ x 12″, one 10″ x 9″ three 6″ x 5 1/2″ and one 41/2″ x 41/2″.  I began with my 9″ (tall) by 10″ (across) pot using duct tape on both sides of the drainage hole of the pot to seal it before mixing the concrete. I mixed fast setting concrete mix with water right in the pot and set my pole into the concrete.
After checking with a level to make sure the pole was straight I propped it with boards for about 15 minutes until the concrete was set enough to remove the boards. I let my concrete set up overnight, but an hour will be more than enough time.
I then set my pot with the concrete and post down inside my largest pot.
I filled in all around the smaller pot and on top of the concrete with potting soil
I began planting my herbs all around the post.
Remember those holes in the steel pole. This is when they come in handy. I simply pushed a nail with a small head part way through the hole.
I slipped the first of my smaller pots over the post and down to where it would rest on the nail.
Time to plant the smaller pots and add two more to the pole!
Here is my completed herb garden, ready to flourish in the Florida sunshine! A perfect patio herb garden to enjoy harvesting from!

Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Penny

I completed this yesterday evening. And I’m in love with it! We have a Home Depot near us so I thought I’d stop and check for the rebar there. The Lowes that was closest to me showed online they didn’t have them in stock. Home Depot showed they did. After three stops (one at Lowe’s and one at Hobby Lobby who had the small pots 50% off!) to pick up the needed supplies, I went home and got busy. Your right. It’s not only easy, it’s enjoyable. And now I have fresh herbs (will be buying a few more as the nursery was low on what’s I wanted) to cook with and our back deck has a sweet and wonderful new addition. Oh, while at Home Depot, the cashier asked what I wanted the rebar for. She knows me and felt comfortable enough to ask. She said several women had come in over the weekend and purchased rebar just like mine (guess several women in my area of Texas follow Hometalk!) and wondered what was up! I sent her the photo. Guess who plans on making one?! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful project! My back deck has never looked better!

• Sheila Leech

However the bottom pot would be flooded!