Asked on Apr 27, 2017

My question is about Lilac Bushes.

BrendaSusieJohnchip
+5

There are several lilac bushes along my back fence and they are so tall I'd say at least 15 feet tall maybe taller and all of the flowers are at the top and can't be reached. How do I properly cut them back so the flowers will be lower? I've heard I shouldn't cut them close to the ground but they look a bit odd. They are pretty sparse under all of the blooms. Please help! Thanks in advance!

www.gardenguides.com/96627-lilac-bush-bloom.html
    • Susie

Thanks for the information but the link said it can't be found, but thank-you for trying!!
  • Ttr15607121

The best practice will look odd for the first couple of years, but it is the Best Solution to Your Problem. Cut away all sprouts near the ground. These are robbing your lilac tree from blooming. You will need to cut the bush / tree back to a height of 3 feet. I know this sounds Drastic, but it really is the Best Practice. Cut the bush/tree down only after the blooms have faded. Prune right after blooming...Your lilac will Not Flower next year...it will bloom fully in the second year!! So now comes the big decision?? Are You willing to sacrifice next year's bloom for a more manageable bush that is clean and attractive in 2019??
  • Johnchip

...and cut above a fresh 'Y' in the branch.
  • Susie

Thank-you!!!

• Brenda

I agree with Ttracy