How do you determine which walls you can knock out?

New home. It's very closed in. I'd like to open up the kitchen into living room.
q how do you determine which walls you can knock out
The wall I want to remove
  11 answers
  • Steven Steven on Apr 27, 2017
    It's simple. You have to determine if its a roof supporting wall. You can determine this by looking at the plan that was submitted to the city. If you can't read a blue print then get some one who can.
  • Sally Wiese Sally Wiese on Apr 27, 2017
    Every house has at least one wall that supports holding up the roof. That is considered the supporting wall you cannot take that down. It is possible, with some extra expense, to add a new support. This must be verified with a contractor before you guess at it. Get aaprofessional's advise.
  • Suzette Holt Suzette Holt on Apr 27, 2017
    You should consult a contractor .
  • Richard Richard on Apr 27, 2017
    A beginning would be to check which way your roof truss are running. Load bearing walls are usually, but not always, at a 90 degree angle to the truss. But check with someone who knows for sure.
  • Debbie Debbie on Apr 27, 2017
    Definitely contact someone who knows that type of work.
  • Michael Kennaley Michael Kennaley on Apr 27, 2017
    If it is a bearing wall it can be removed but the cost is very expensive. Bearing walls support the roof structure. If it is a partition wall it can be removed, it is merely a room division wall supporting drywall. If you can get into the attic look for the location of the wall, if there are structural supports directly too the roof structure it is most likely a bearing wall. If it appears to be tacked between trusses to hold it in place it is a partition wall.
  • Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Apr 27, 2017
    Be sure to contact a contractor and see if the wall is load bearing. Be safe and good luck
  • Larry Chura Larry Chura on Apr 27, 2017
    As stated, a contractor or the actual plans is the best way. I was taught that all supports for a supporting wall have to end up with a footing in the ground. "ie" (A) can tie into (b), etc but have to be in the final tie to a footing in the ground.
    The odds are strong that I have either misspelled some thing or used a wrong term. So be it.

  • Judy Judy on Apr 28, 2017
    You really should consult a contractor. Even if it's not load bearing it could have electrical wires or plumbing materials in it and sometimes those can't be re-routed.
  • Florent Florent on Apr 28, 2017
    The best way, if you have it, is to watch the original plan of the house. And, if you don'ty have it, you can sound the wall : if it sounds empty, you can knock it down. If you can see the thickness of the wall, don't knock down wall wich thickness is more than 10 centimers. And, if you have any trouble to be sure about a wall, then ask to a specialist.
Your comment...