How do you keep deers from eating plants?

+16
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 27, 2017
    Try making a spray with hot pepper and crushed garlic.
  • Kristi Smith Grogan Kristi Smith Grogan on Apr 27, 2017
    I have heard grated Irish spring soap sprinkled around helps.
  • Pat Pat on Apr 27, 2017
    Thank you....
  • Sus13834410 Sus13834410 on Apr 28, 2017
    Buy some Tea Tree oil and put a few drops on some old tea bags then scatter then around edge of garden. Deer hate the smell.

• Dawn Ott-Kubis Dawn Ott-Kubis on Apr 28, 2017
    When I lived in NC people came in the salon I worked in and got the swept hair. Its clean (usually) and smells like people, if they're not use to people it scares them
    • Pat Pat on Apr 28, 2017
      Thank you will pass it on to my daughter who is having the problem in GA.

• Pat Kleinmaier Pat Kleinmaier on Apr 28, 2017
    I sprinkle used cat litter around. Deer don't like cats. Don't need much. I did it for a couple years and now they don't bother my hostas anymore.
    • Pat Pat on Apr 28, 2017
      Thanks, now she will either have to get a cat or find someone who has one.
  • Joop Laenen Joop Laenen on Apr 28, 2017
    mmmmmm bambi
  • Bruce Wayne Bruce Wayne on Apr 28, 2017
    The plural of deer is deer

Should be easy to find a friend that would share a little
  • Jmp22549047 Jmp22549047 on Apr 28, 2017
    30.06 rifle and a bbq pit
    Jut kidding, Ive heard the hair thing before.
  • Erin Fisher Erin Fisher on Apr 28, 2017
    I plant Marigolds around my hostas and have been very lucky for 6 years. Now I have to protect my lilacs. The irish springs works around my trees
  • Lori Lori on Apr 28, 2017
    I have a resident herd of deer that destroy my daylilies and hostas if I don't stay on top of it. I have used dryer sheets, bars of soap, pepper and that stinky store bought spray. Nothing worked for long. A friend who was a groundskeeper for years at the local country club told me about this. He used a granular product called Deer Scram. It is very effective, but a little pricey. You make a barrier with it a few feet from your garden. It contains dried blood and deer avoid anything that is dead. They just walk around the barrier and leave what is inside alone. I've been using it for two years now and my lillies actually have gotten flowers now that Bambi stopped eating the buds!
  • Joop Laenen Joop Laenen on Apr 29, 2017
    You like them or you eat them
  • Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 14, 2021

Hi Pat, here's a really great article that has all kinds of useful tips on keeping deer away - https://www.tipsbulletin.com/homemade-deer-repellent/.