Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

Turn An Old Window Into Wall Art

$10

I always loved the way the windows looked in my church, the intricate stained glass that was breathtaking when the sun shown through. I have an antique window hanging in my apartment as wall art and I was inspired to turn it into a custom stained glass piece!

custom stained glass

I started with my window. I cleaned the glass well and chose which side I wanted to paint on. One side of the window is white and the other is natural wood. Whichever side you choose to show, paint on the opposite.

custom stained glass

I chose to do a floral pattern on my window. I printed out a few outlines off the computer for me to trace. These are so easy to find if you just google whatever you want to trace and the words "outline" or "coloring page" behind them.

custom stained glass

After I taped the papers on the window, I mixed my "led lines". In traditional stained glass, these are the thick black lines that outline the graphics. They are normally made from lead, which is black. I mixed about a table spoon of black acrylic paint into my Elmer's white school glue bottle. I used a skewer and mixed it well to disperse the paint.

custom stained glass

I then began to trace. This takes awhile so make sure you're in a comfy spot. (;

custom stained glass

Once you're doing tracing everything, remove the printouts and you're left with your basic outlines!

custom stained glass

Next, you'll mix up your colors! I used Elmer's clear school glue, acrylic paint and a cupcake tin. This was the easiest way to keep the paints from mixing. I used about 2 tablespoons of clear glue to 1 teaspoon of paint. Be sure to mix this well.

custom stained glass

And let the painting begin! This was so relaxing just like coloring.

custom stained glass

After, you're left with this one of a kind work of art! It was so rewarding for me to finish this and turn it over to reveal my beautiful stained glass! I'm not displaying mine in front of a window because I love in an apartment and they are floor to ceiling, but I LOVE the way it pops on my white wall! The best part is, you don't have to be an artist!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• CindyK

Would putting it in a hot sunny window ruin it in time? Would it melt, dry out, fade, or ruin the window pane itself? I live in an apartment with a fussy landlord.

• Dfm

The ones I did lasted about 5 years in a full sun location mostly faded, but you can add another layer of color if they do fade.

• Dee

Great job.

I have a glass window, no panes. It is about 30 x 18. Would love to do something like this, but I want to be able to put it outside. Any suggestions on how to do something similiar to this for outside?

• Debra

I want to try this. Do I need to seal the art I don't want it to melt if I get it wet.

• Linda Moore

I made this one for our church play

• Darla

Love it and I'm glad Rose was able to provide a method of keeping the picture stuck to the glass as that was something I was wondering about. I know they sell special craft paint to make faux stained glass but this would be much cheaper.

I also visited a historical site once where the owner had used different colored paper and plastic wraps (like used for easter baskets) sandwiched between two panes of glass. Looked real from a distance but I don't know how they looked close up as the windows were really high.

I will have to try your way, thank you for the inspiration :)