Turn An Old Window Into Wall Art

$10

I always loved the way the windows looked in my church, the intricate stained glass that was breathtaking when the sun shown through. I have an antique window hanging in my apartment as wall art and I was inspired to turn it into a custom stained glass piece!

I started with my window. I cleaned the glass well and chose which side I wanted to paint on. One side of the window is white and the other is natural wood. Whichever side you choose to show, paint on the opposite.

I chose to do a floral pattern on my window. I printed out a few outlines off the computer for me to trace. These are so easy to find if you just google whatever you want to trace and the words "outline" or "coloring page" behind them.

After I taped the papers on the window, I mixed my "led lines". In traditional stained glass, these are the thick black lines that outline the graphics. They are normally made from lead, which is black. I mixed about a table spoon of black acrylic paint into my Elmer's white school glue bottle. I used a skewer and mixed it well to disperse the paint.

I then began to trace. This takes awhile so make sure you're in a comfy spot. (;

Once you're doing tracing everything, remove the printouts and you're left with your basic outlines!

Next, you'll mix up your colors! I used Elmer's clear school glue, acrylic paint and a cupcake tin. This was the easiest way to keep the paints from mixing. I used about 2 tablespoons of clear glue to 1 teaspoon of paint. Be sure to mix this well.

And let the painting begin! This was so relaxing just like coloring.

After, you're left with this one of a kind work of art! It was so rewarding for me to finish this and turn it over to reveal my beautiful stained glass! I'm not displaying mine in front of a window because I love in an apartment and they are floor to ceiling, but I LOVE the way it pops on my white wall! The best part is, you don't have to be an artist!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors

• Jessi Toni Metts

Tried this but the elmers blue, after tinting with the black was much too thin and didn’t stand up like “leaded lines” at all.

Suggestions?

• MiMi

HELP?? I’ve seen this done with food coloring too. I painted a bottle and used food coloring gel, colors were beautifully vibrant! After it dried, I sealed it with spray clear coat. It was placed on a covered porch sometimes, not always,,, and within cpl months,, it looked awful 😰💔 Didn’t look like stained glass at all,, colors faded & looked “melted & mixed” & “gummy”

ANYONE have any ideas why? I can’t see why using the gel would matter,, but,,

• MiMi

Thank you for your suggestion! 👍🏼🥰 I will certainly try that! It broke my heart when I saw how it had “gummed up” it was so bright and beautiful! Thanks again for taking the time to reply and have a SAFE & AMAZING 4th HOLIDAY!! 🇺🇸❤️😀

• Suzanne Leonard

I have to try this ! I was wondering, if the completed project is to be placed in a window, how does the glue/paint mix hold up to the heat of the sun? Goes it melt it? Does it fade it? Does it loosen it? When its done, should I seal it to protect from any of these issues from happening? I know, questions, questions, questions ! But before I invest a lot of time, I need to know what I'm getting into. Thanks to anyone, in advance, for helping me problem solve before I have a problem.

• Michele Vickery
      Yesterday

I was wondering if you ever did end up doing this since this is from July and if so how did it turn out? I considered the same question that you had and thought maybe I would try the actual stained glass paint instead of the glue/acrylic mixture?

• Tihema

Loved it will definitely do the job.

Feeling inspired

• Denise Evans

I have a blank old window great idea! I have done something similar with a 8 x 10 frame and it’s glass. I used bubble paint for outline and stainless paint then sealed it. It hangs in our front window and it has never faded!