Turn An Old Window Into Wall Art

$10

I always loved the way the windows looked in my church, the intricate stained glass that was breathtaking when the sun shown through. I have an antique window hanging in my apartment as wall art and I was inspired to turn it into a custom stained glass piece!

I started with my window. I cleaned the glass well and chose which side I wanted to paint on. One side of the window is white and the other is natural wood. Whichever side you choose to show, paint on the opposite.

I chose to do a floral pattern on my window. I printed out a few outlines off the computer for me to trace. These are so easy to find if you just google whatever you want to trace and the words "outline" or "coloring page" behind them.

After I taped the papers on the window, I mixed my "led lines". In traditional stained glass, these are the thick black lines that outline the graphics. They are normally made from lead, which is black. I mixed about a table spoon of black acrylic paint into my Elmer's white school glue bottle. I used a skewer and mixed it well to disperse the paint.

I then began to trace. This takes awhile so make sure you're in a comfy spot. (;

Once you're doing tracing everything, remove the printouts and you're left with your basic outlines!

Next, you'll mix up your colors! I used Elmer's clear school glue, acrylic paint and a cupcake tin. This was the easiest way to keep the paints from mixing. I used about 2 tablespoons of clear glue to 1 teaspoon of paint. Be sure to mix this well.

And let the painting begin! This was so relaxing just like coloring.

After, you're left with this one of a kind work of art! It was so rewarding for me to finish this and turn it over to reveal my beautiful stained glass! I'm not displaying mine in front of a window because I love in an apartment and they are floor to ceiling, but I LOVE the way it pops on my white wall! The best part is, you don't have to be an artist!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space

• Jessi Toni Metts
    Jessi Toni Metts

Tried this but the elmers blue, after tinting with the black was much too thin and didn’t stand up like “leaded lines” at all.

Suggestions?

• Lynda
      Lynda

You can buy black glass paint outliner in a tube that you use in stained glass painting.

• MiMi
    MiMi

HELP?? I’ve seen this done with food coloring too. I painted a bottle and used food coloring gel, colors were beautifully vibrant! After it dried, I sealed it with spray clear coat. It was placed on a covered porch sometimes, not always,,, and within cpl months,, it looked awful 😰💔 Didn’t look like stained glass at all,, colors faded & looked “melted & mixed” & “gummy”

ANYONE have any ideas why? I can’t see why using the gel would matter,, but,,

• Brayjo12
      Brayjo12

I might suggest you do a Hometalk search for stained glass bottle. I remember seeing one that may have suggestions that might help. Good luck.

• Suzanne Leonard
    Suzanne Leonard

I have to try this ! I was wondering, if the completed project is to be placed in a window, how does the glue/paint mix hold up to the heat of the sun? Goes it melt it? Does it fade it? Does it loosen it? When its done, should I seal it to protect from any of these issues from happening? I know, questions, questions, questions ! But before I invest a lot of time, I need to know what I'm getting into. Thanks to anyone, in advance, for helping me problem solve before I have a problem.

• Maureen Georgetti
      Maureen Georgetti
      10 hours ago

@Lisa Baptist, are you saying you just used acrylic paint and then sealed it? Or are you saying you mixed sealer with the acrylic paint? If so, what ratio and what brand sealer did you use?

BTW, your work is beautiful!

• Vicki
    Vicki

Yes that is a great idea. I do a lot of things with Art and crafts . I have a lot of knick knacks that I need ideas for . I don't throw things away my uncle keeps everything. Thanks for the idea

Betsy

I just knew there would be something showing up that I would find to use my mom's old porch windows and door! They are around 90 years old, and the type that go up and down, can't remember what they'r called :(, and when she got new windows and doors, I took them all. Now I know what to do with them! They've been sitting in my basement for 15 years! Thanks