Asked on Apr 27, 2017

How to prepare "already primed" siding board for paint?

Marykay HaneJanet PizaroMichael LoVetere
+5

I have older siding board that has never been painted along with some newer "patched" pieces. What do I use to wash and prepare them for paint?
  • If they are primed, I would just make sure they are clean. Have you checked the manufacturer's directions?
  • Michael Kennaley

Primed or not, I would prime all boards with a coat of KILZ Stain Remove and Primer. This product contains lacquer that will seal boards and not allow bleed thru of stains.
    • Marykay Hane

I did find a new version of tsp that is not as toxic. I may try that or just use a power washer with water only.

• Michael LoVetere

Use hot water and TSP..TSP in the red box was currently available at Home Depot. This will rough up the surface after you rinse it and let it dry thoroughly . I got some last week for a job I recently did. The only primer I use with good results is called CoverStain oil based stain blocker and bond coat primer made by Zinsser. It's not too costly , I spray it but it will brush and roll good, too. It is tintable or you can use the white straight out of the can.. A lot of people swear by Killz, but I got called back on a couple of jobs where the cover finish lifted so I don't use it anymore.. just my two cents.

do not use TSP it is very hazardous.Just clean them off with a basic non toxic cleaner. allow to dry and use a primer for OUTDOORS
  • Marykay Hane

ty