Asked on Apr 28, 2017

Have a small area that the grass is dying!

Lea SwensonJudy FerrellMar9266034
+1

This area doesn't want to grow because of pine tree needles. Anyone have an idea on what I can do?? Help!

Can you submit a photo of the area?
  • Mar9266034

pine needles cause acidic soil so I would talk to your home garden expert and see if you could balance by adding lye(alkaline) to soil but not sure what effects it would have on your pine tree. You may have to try putting in seedums/succulents or other type of foliage/flower that is acid loving: again your garden expert should be able to recommend.
  • Judy Ferrell

Planting anything under pines is hard. Your best bet is a shade tolerant ground cover or hostas.
  • Lea Swenson

We have many pine trees and cedars so I know your pain! You can treat the soil but then it is a constant battle as the needles continue to fall. I have one large spruce tree in the front and planted seedums, ferns and hostas. They are supposed to like acidic soil. They did fine last year (first year) and it looks like most are coming back this year (slow spring so a bit early to know for sure).