Asked on Apr 28, 2017

Is it possible to raise a sidewalk by pouring more concrete over it?

Ban14839859JamesWilliam
+2

My front concrete sidewalk has sunk down and when it rains, water stands on it. I would like to raise the height without tearing it completely out as it's in good shape otherwise. I wondered if we could just build it up with another layer of cement.
  • Judy Ferrell

This would not really work. The drainage will be off and it will crack. It will be better and cheaper to dig it up and start over in the long run.
  • Chi2309947

Sounds like you need to mudjack. I had it done around my pool deck. I had several slabs that had dropped down.

No! New concrete will not adhere to old concrete. It would need to be removed and new one poured.
  • James

I had this problem. I was able to get some pry bars under it and raise it up enough to force gravel under it to level it off. Be careful the cement doesn't crack.
  • Ban14839859

Use paving brick for walks. It can be placed on top of the concrete. Any good mason can do it, or tell you how. It makes a beautiful walk. We did this years ago, just for the cosmetic effect, and it has lasted through the years.