Jane Dorey
Jane Dorey
  • Milwaukee, WI
Asked on Apr 28, 2017

We have been asked to build raised beds for a community garden.

MindyDgreenNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+5

What is the best way to build several garden beds. What type of lumber to use? Any help you can provide would be most helpful
  • Judy Ferrell

Use cedar but don't use anything pressure treated. Remember that you should be able to reach the middle from the sides. Use railroad spikes to fasten them to the ground.
  • Liz

I used the pressure treated and did Lincoln log cuts on the end to join the sides together.
  • If going the wood route, use cedar. Any pressure treated lumber can leech chemicals into whatever you are growing - not good. We recently made a couple for a friend of mine using cinder blocks, then capped with pavers so you could sit while gardening. Google "How to make raised garden bed" and hundreds of options will turn up for you, many with photos and step by step instructions and supply lists. Pinterest has pages and pages of possible options. Typically many people choose to make them 4 feet wide. I would consider making a tad bit narrower as children and people with less mobility will be able to reach the center. Since a community garden, I would consider some sort of ledge to sit while gardening. Good luck, have fun and hope you will post when complete! 🌷🌱🍅🍊🍄
  • Dgreen

In our area bales of straw are used plus they are weed free.
  • Mindy

Old pallet wood comes in handy. I checked out a book from the library that had handy pallet ideas.