No-Sew Curtains & Curtain Rod for Less Than $15!

$15

Let's face it, curtains and curtain rods can be EXPENSIVE! Especially, if you are looking for prints or patterns. I found a solution that is inexpensive and involves absolutely no sewing, which is a bonus for a lot of people. All you need is a flat sheet and a little plumbing/electrical hardware.
SUPPLIES:

- Flat Sheet (I used a double sheet)

- Hem Tape (Iron on)

- Iron

- Scissors

- Bracket

- Pipe

- Xacto Knife

- Screws
Step 1) Fold your flat sheet in half lengthwise.

Step 2) Cut along the fold, to create two equal pieces of fabric. These are your two curtain panels.

Step 3) Apply hem tape to the raw edge of your curtain panel. Do this to each piece of fabric. Be sure to follow manufacturers instructions.
Step 4) Fold the edge of the fabric over the hem tape.
Step 5) Using your iron, press the fabric over the hem tape and hold until the hem tape has sealed to the fabric.
Voila! Our finished edge now matches the other side of the sewn edge.
Step 6) Create slits in the top hem of the curtain panel. Use a sharp blade and be sure not to go through the front side of the fabric. Only through the back. Space your slits about 5" apart.
Step 7) Thread your pipe through the slits.
Step 8) Screw your brackets into the wall and thread the pipe into the brackets. Attach the end caps (that come with your pipe) to each end of the pipe.

I chose to spray paint mine to match my curtains.
The finished product. I love how my curtains brighten up our neutral living room. I used simple ribbon tie backs for a more daytime friendly effect. Don't you love how the slits create that pleated effect?
A close-up of the hardware. No one would guess those were made out of a flat sheet!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles

• Sadie Moodie
    Sadie Moodie

How do you slit the back without cutting the front of the fsbric
    • Mar2439468
      Mar2439468

Maybe slip something between fabric fold before cutting. You would have to be awfully sure how much strength you applied otherwise
    • R Walter
      R Walter

Pull the two sides apart, make a small cut on the back side with scissors then insert the tip of your scissors in the slit and cut up and down to the desired amount you want you opening to be, being careful to make the cuts on the backside of the hem.

• Joan Gerhardt
      Joan Gerhardt

you could slip a yard stick in and make sure that the yard stick is where you are cutting
    • Ann Phipps
      Ann Phipps

Cut slits before hemming.
    • Bklynbetts65
      Bklynbetts65

Maybe pinch the fabric and then pull the two pieces apart before making the slit? It seemed to work on my sheet.
    • Dana Baier
      Dana Baier

Try placing a long piece of cardboard through the fabric column! Then cut carefully!
    • Jessica Cossin
      Jessica Cossin

If you have a plastic (sorry don't know the official name) piece with the measurements on it, I have 1 for scrapbooking, they come in different shapes & sizes, and also have lines in them for cuts. You could put that in between, they are inexpensive, and Michael's or Joann's always has big coupons!
    • Sadie Moodie
      Sadie Moodie

Thanks everyone for your answers greatly appreciated
    • Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

#AnnPhipps. The hem is only done on the raw long side where the sheet was cut in half. The large hem at the top is the original sheet hem. One double sheet is usually cheaper than two single sheets, although sales and coupons may make this variable. best wishes.
    • Nancy Wilson
      Nancy Wilson

To prevent fraying of the fabric when you make the slits you will want to mark the fabric (before hemming) where you want the slits to be. Then using your fabric bonding put a piece over each marker the size you need to fit the rod. Make your slit and because it's been bonded you reduce the risk of fraying. Then hem and continue to complete the drape. I would also recommend hanging the curtains high above the window as it will create the affect of a higher ceiling.
    • Darrel Rose
      Darrel Rose

Another way to do this is purchase another flat or fitted sheet the same print and make separate tabs and sew them on the curtain then no slits needed
    • Davette Walling
      Davette Walling

If your going to do that. Put large button holes in and prevent fray... etc. Whole point, not have to hem.

• Davette Walling
      Davette Walling

• Davette Walling
      Davette Walling

• Nadine Hartman Bourne
    Nadine Hartman Bourne

Why make slits that could eventually fray? why not leave the casing open at the to and slip the rod all the way through?
    • Paula Binkley Nuxol
      Paula Binkley Nuxol

That would seem a lot easier to me too.
    • Julanne Sharrow
      Julanne Sharrow

If the rod is passed thru the whole casing it would look like it was gathered, by slitting it in increments, it makes the fabric gape, or look pleated.
    • Mireles_alma
      Mireles_alma

maybe use a wider rod so it will be tighter
    • Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

Shorter slits would make the curtain tighter, too, but is harder to thread the pipe through. I would definitely paint the bracket, too. Old idea, and nicely done.
    • Jac17847421
      Jac17847421

Beautiful. You make it look so easy.
    • Paula Musgrave Simmons
      Paula Musgrave Simmons

Make sure to check your Thrift Store & Yard Sales for materials & hardware.
    • Bbunny42
      Bbunny42

If you run the pipe through the casing instead of making the slits in the back, the curtain will be gathered, not pleated (but will still be pretty), but most importantly in my book, it creates more work. All the sheets I have ever used to make curtains were stitched across the ends and you have to rip this out, hem what you ripped out and restitch the casing and side hems. Yes, that's the best way to do it, but it drags out the project and I guess you need to weigh the time against how often you wash the curtains and how long before you'll want new curtains.
    • Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine
      Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine

my thoughts exactly
    • Carrie Oes
      Carrie Oes

You could also bind the edges of sits with iron on binding found in craft stores or Joannes Fabric. I wouldn't use a pipe though,too heavy. Just as easy to use regular curtain rods you can find at any discount store
    • Kim
      Kim

Fray-Check
    • Marsha Eastwood
      Marsha Eastwood

I have been using sheets to make curtains/drapes for years. I buy two twin sheets, cut off the finished top edges and use them as tie backs. Since I am old school, I turn down the now unfinished top edge three inches, stitch in place (sometimes dryer heat loosens the seam tape over time) and then stitch 1 1/2 inches from the top. I have also used thrift store lace tablecloths the same way.

• Susan Feaver Neufeld
      Susan Feaver Neufeld

If you put a line of fabric glue on the edges of the slits it will prevent fraying. Or you could put a line down to cut through - no fraying and it might make it easier to cut the slit though I'm not sure.

• Kim
    Kim

I have a side question: where did you get the sheet? I am searching high and low for print sheets (not solid color.) Thanks!
    • Nin17181385
      Nin17181385

She stated Marshall.
    • Tina M. Shrewsbury-Harrell
      Tina M. Shrewsbury-Harrell

Hunt in thrift stores, yard sales etc.
      i have found a great deal of material 'stash' in these areas, which I've used for table cloths to pillow cases and curtains for my home and camper.
    • Charlene
      Charlene

google printed sheets, you will find lots of sites in all price ranges.
    • Judy Patton
      Judy Patton

Home goods and TJ Maxx also have Pretty and unique patterned sheets.
    • Darrel Rose
      Darrel Rose

I believe SuperWalmart has those prints as well as a single top sheet
    • Carrie Oes
      Carrie Oes

Regular Walmart has printed sheets too as well as KMart
    • Jan Burton Marino
      Jan Burton Marino

Some thrift stores have brand new sheets with price tags still on! I found 2 full size sheets, and a gorgeous co-ordinating light fabric shower curtain I used in the middle...I didn't space the slits at the top like this presentation, darn it, but I will now! I've always used sheets on sale/clearance/thrift store for curtains! Cheap and you can stamp them with designs, etc.!
    • Don't forget Big Lots! I was there yesterday and they had a ton of pretty sheets! Home Goods is good too, a bit more than Walmart or Target, but better quality sheet. Depends on your budget.

• Cindy
      Cindy

I look at second hand stores. That where I found mine for my front room and bed rooms.

• Laura Wands
      Laura Wands

I scope out thrift stores. I usually don’t look for prints, but there’s a huge selection in every store I get into. My guest bedroom has some curtains made from sheets that I dyed in a shibori technique with indigo dye.

• Aislin13
      Aislin13

Bath Bed Beyond, JC Penney’s have great sheets on sale cheap. Also, I used this technique, but I lined the sheets, because they were too thin...sunlight came through!

• Starla Wicks-Heath
      Starla Wicks-Heath

Ross may also have printed sheets

• Candi law
    Candi law

I love it but I want blackout curtains how can I do that ?

• Wendi
      Wendi

Buy the blackout material.... Amazon sells it swe it into the sheet.

than you’ll have blackout curtains

• Marsha Eastwood
      Marsha Eastwood

You can also use light weight ribcord bedspreads. Savers always has a few and if you find them on Mondays they are 50% off. If you want new ones check Amazon and Overstock.

• Asg32961790
    Asg32961790

This is probably an obvious answer but what is tha lighter colored material on the back? Is this the tape? If so, does it come in large pieces or do you just put the tape on one at a time?

• Rosy
    Rosy

Did you have to buy a complete set of sheets. Top, bottom and pillow cases? If so what did you use the bottom sheet for? Could be used for throw pillow covers that would match curtains.

• Marsha Milstock
      Marsha Milstock

You can buy sheets, top sheets, pillow cases separately.

• Danette R Tornatore
      Danette R Tornatore

Matching pillows would be very nice! 😁

• Jsi17509085
      Jsi17509085

when my children were little I bought kid patterned bed spreads .I wanted matching curtains but the cost was always beyond expensive so I bought the matching sheet set and used the flat to make curtains ,the fitted bottom sheet I used on the bed and the pillow case made a perfect sham. They loved their rooms . I did this for years .

• Marsha Milstock
    Marsha Milstock

I think this is a great idea. I have done this before by making it into a shower curtain. But there was no cutting involved.

My concern is using the box knife, and just cutting into the material.

Once you cut the material won’t it start to unravel. And get far worse when you wash it?

or have I missed something?

• Barbara Roesener
      Barbara Roesener

Use "fray stop" to keep slits from fraying.

• Marsha Milstock
      Marsha Milstock

Thank you Barbara

• Alexandra Fortin
      Alexandra Fortin

I was thaught that the coutain has to be 4 inches higher than the floor.

• Neva Dew
      Neva Dew

Alexandra Fortin; No hard and fast rules anymore -these days it's OK to have your curtains/drapery any length one desires. I personally don't like the puddle effect anywhere. To me it looks like you didn't measure correctly. All my curtains are just barely to the floor. That way the vacuum doesn't suck them up!

• Nancy Mitchell
      Nancy Mitchell

Just get the clips to hang your curtains. No cutting needed

• Carolyn Smith Tant
    Carolyn Smith Tant

I bought 2 twin sheets to make a valance for a double window. I want a ruffle at the top. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this? I only want it to come down about a third of the window, so I'll have to cut the sheets off at the bottom. I will appreciate any suggestions.

• Brenda Jones
      Brenda Jones

You would have to sew a seam across the top. Depending on how much of a ruffle you want, you may have to use a smaller rod as well. In my college days I made everything out of sheets (bohemian wallpaper, floor pillows, throw pillows ..... the whole shabang)

• Davette Walling
      Davette Walling

Whenever I wanted a valance when using sheets... I used sheets meant to be folded down over a blanket. These often come with a ruffle or decorative edge. I would fold that over and make a new rod pocket an valance. Then the rest of the panel was used for the curtain. This leaves less pooling on the floor usually too.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

When cutting the slits, how can you not end up cutting through and slicing the back piece of fabric?

• Nor11680516
      Nor11680516

Open the hem. Push crease line to stich line. Cut wrong side to crease.

• Cheryl
      Cheryl

You can put the pipe through the opening before cutting to make sure you only cut the back layer.

• Jacquelyne May
      Jacquelyne May

Hmmm, could you make the cuts before you put on the iron on tape? Does seem like keeping the cut from going through to the other layer would be difficult to do.

That would also make it easier to apply something to keep it from fraying.

• Gloria
      Gloria

Before making side seam, you can slide in a piece of cardboard and make your slits so it doesn't go through both layers. then you can do your side stitch. also if you are worried of it fraying you could also put small strips of hem tape on each side of slit, then iron it on

• Susan August
      Susan August

Fray check on the edges of the slits will keep them from unraveling.

• Jeanne Martin
      Jeanne Martin

Once you successfully make the first slit cut you could slide a yardstick thru the slit and thru the width of your "curtain". Then the remaining slits would be much easier to cut. I would use my fingers to separate the material on that tricky first slit and use scissors to make the cut.

• Carla Heider
      Carla Heider

slide a piece of cardboard or the plastic inside bacon (after washing it) along as u cut the slots. should stop u from cuttkng all the way thru.

• Elfrieda
      Elfrieda

Why can't you just fold it horizontally, make tiny slits for your guide and then you can go back and enlarge the slits.

• Barbara Bullard
      Barbara Bullard

Cut slits before hemming the material.

• Margaret E. Bates
    Margaret E. Bates

Clever, but maybe better if they just grazed the floor? And yes, how DO you cut through just one thickness for your slits?

• Ellaine
      Ellaine

I plan on putting something in the slit. you know like a broom handle or something. Have it measured where I want the slit then cut right there with the broom handle still in. I won't be able to cut past the handle and it'll be easier to cut as it's up off the bottom layer. Make sense?

• Lynda Haight
      Lynda Haight

I would slide something between the front and back (inside the hem) to keep from cutting the front?

• Linda Hennessee Melton
    Linda Hennessee Melton

Could you iron on a fabric adhesive strip across the back of the top where you need to cut the slits and then cut the slits through the adhesive strip and top layer of fabric to keep it from fraying? Don't know that much about fabric adhesive sheets.

• Von
    Von

Curtains don’t have to be expensive! Walmart has great prices, I buy mine.

• Flower girl
    Flower girl

I like it. Never would have thought of slitting just one layer. It does give a pleated effect. Nicely done.