Linda Bryant
Linda Bryant
  • Panama, NE
Asked on Apr 28, 2017

Upholstery samples

Jodi Murray HendonLinda BryantV Valencia
+6

Our local furniture store let me take their discontinued fabric samples and I am looking for ways to use these beautiful 12-18 inch pieces in a creative way...purses, bags, vase covers, quilts, artwork, any new ideas?
  • What about valences, shower curtains, place mats?

• Judy Ferrell

Piece together and fill with pillow forms and make chair pads or furniture covers. Really great if you want to jazz up old sofas
  • Ttr15607121

I am a huge fan of upholstering Picture frames with a little batting and fabric. Perhaps since you have larger pieces of fabric you could make fabric message boards with coordinating criss cross ribbon. Add a few corsage pins and you have yourself an elegant message board. Great idea for a thoughtful birthday or Christmas gift for this special people on your list!
  • Dana Baier

Perhaps you can make purses/bags? You can get handles at the local craft store & find a tutorial on the internet! Donate to local animal shelters for pads in the cages? What a fun find! Let us know what you came up with!
  • SandyG

I have seen sample pieces framed for wall artwork. Also, clutch purse. Cut and put batting in between, hand or machine stitch and make coasters for the table.
  • FL

How about sachets? You can maybe make 2 with one piece of fabric. Just some lavender buds or whatever you like and hand or machine stitch three sides and viola! Tuck in every drawer and closet, add a ribbon so you can hang on a hook or clothes hanger. Add a few drops of lavender oil for a stronger fragrance. The small sachet repels moths, too, so great when packing away clothes for the season or long-term! Plus they make adorable gifts! have fun!
  • V Valencia

A friend used pieces like these as napkins for a large party. Another idea might be to use them to wrap small gifts. You could put the item in the center and gather the ends, tie with a coordinating ribbon.
  • Linda Bryant

Thank you for all the ideas. I am not great with a sewing machine, but have decided it might be time to try again. Love all your ideas. I also thought they would make great wine bags and gift bags.
  • Jodi Murray Hendon

I've made several reversible purses, using fabric scraps and upholstery samples. It's very simple, but too long to go into here. See if you can find some tutorials on YouTube or Craftster.org.